Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lathe and milling

Lathe and milling

Looking to learn more about both of these process been looking for a night school course but can't seem to find anything. So my next idea is to ask if there is anyone on here with in 20 miles of Loughborough that will to give a bit of training in return I can bring cake and biscuits..

If there is anyone who is will to transfer knowledge to keep the skills going please get in touch.

Thank you in advance

​Pete

Try your local college but most are Btec/HND courses, 2-4 years I think part time and cost about 3k.

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface.

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface. [/QUOTE]

nice pun ,

you had any thoughts yet feller any news what you goner build !

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Try your local college but most are Btec/HND courses, 2-4 years I think part time and cost about 3k.

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface.
    Jager SA is spot on there. I served a 7 year apprentiship as toolmaker with 3 years of that in the machining section of the toolroom. Depending on how far you would like to go and the accuracy you are aiming for and the machines you are looking to purchace, there is a lot of cheap rubbish for sale. MJ
    Last edited by Muntjac; 09-09-2013 at 16:40.
    Supporting the BRITISH DEER SOCIETY

Try and find a local model engineering group and see if any of them willing to help

​dogflyer

Well I have looked at all the local college courses have not been able to turn anything up yet.
    i have a Colchester student lathe and also a Bridgeport milling machine...

Well I will keep looking tanks for the advice so far..

Quote Originally Posted by pg2008 View Post
    Well I have looked at all the local college courses have not been able to turn anything up yet.

Both Quality pieces of equipment. Try talking to the lecturers in your local collage I bet they would know somone that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by pg2008 View Post

It really is practice and repetition on both machines.

Try advertising on this: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/

"Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    Try advertising on this: http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/

Man! Nice to see that magazine is still around! I used to subscribe to it back in the 1980's when I was all agog over live steam marine engines. ~Muir