Lathe and milling

pg2008

Looking to learn more about both of these process been looking for a night school course but can't seem to find anything. So my next idea is to ask if there is anyone on here with in 20 miles of Loughborough that will to give a bit of training in return I can bring cake and biscuits..

If there is anyone who is will to transfer knowledge to keep the skills going please get in touch.

Thank you in advance

​Pete

Try your local college but most are Btec/HND courses, 2-4 years I think part time and cost about 3k.

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface. :)

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface. :)[/QUOTE]

:rofl: nice pun ,

you had any thoughts yet feller any news what you goner build !

Try your local college but most are Btec/HND courses, 2-4 years I think part time and cost about 3k.

The lathe is straight forward enough for basic work but the Mill is a different ball game, I've barely scratched the surface. :)
Jager SA is spot on there. I served a 7 year apprentiship as toolmaker with 3 years of that in the machining section of the toolroom. Depending on how far you would like to go and the accuracy you are aiming for and the machines you are looking to purchace, there is a lot of cheap rubbish for sale. MJ

Last edited:
Well I have looked at all the local college courses have not been able to turn anything up yet.
i have a Colchester student lathe and also a Bridgeport milling machine...

Well I will keep looking tanks for the advice so far..

Well I have looked at all the local college courses have not been able to turn anything up yet.

Both Quality pieces of equipment. Try talking to the lecturers in your local collage I bet they would know somone that would help.

It really is practice and repetition on both machines.

PG2008
You have a couple of good machines - enjoy learning! However - Always remember that machine tools can bite & misuse may result in bad injuries. - Seen a few in my career! Learn the correct & safe ways to operate them from the start so you don't get into bad habits.
Safety eyewear is a must. Don't wear loose clothing. Use guards. Resist the temptation to remove swarf whilst the machine is running - Double check that the workpiece & machine parts/tools are rigidly fastened down. Keep tools sharp.

​Ian

Looking to learn more about both of these process been looking for a night school course but can't seem to find anything. So my next idea is to ask if there is anyone on here with in 20 miles of Loughborough that will to give a bit of training in return I can bring cake and biscuits..

If there is anyone who is will to transfer knowledge to keep the skills going please get in touch.

Thank you in advance

​Pete

The best piece of advise I ever heard was told to me by a very well known and hugely talentd American gunsmith. Saftey rule No 1. ....... Never put your finger were you wouldn't put your dick!!!!:D

Especially for the lathe it is important to learn the angles, shapes and physics about the cutting tools. Then learn how to shape tools by hand on the grindstone.I don't care much about milling machines but love the lathe for some reason. Years back we injection moulded our own cutting tools for the lathe which was a good experience especially when turning hardened steel. edi

Man! Nice to see that magazine is still around! I used to subscribe to it back in the 1980's when I was all agog over live steam marine engines. ~Muir

We have almost all the issues of Model Engineer from about 1953 up to the mis 1980's.

Have never forgot the 1st day I walked into the Vickers Engineering Aprentice School. Nor the last after just 9 months when realsing it was not for me.:cry:

K

Have never forgot the 1st day I walked into the Vickers Engineering Aprentice School. Nor the last after just 9 months when realsing it was not for me.:cry:

K

I had a few of those moments then I was in school. One of the first tasks was to take an irregular lump of 1/4" steel plate and file it into a 1" square, with all surfaces square to each other. When we were done we would bring it up to our Instructor's perch at the front of the shop and he would take out his square and go over it. If it didn't meet his approval -and no ones' did- he would sent it skipping down the concrete walk between the rows of benches. Our next project was to drill a half inch hole in another bit of plate and file that hole square so that the first project fit exactly into the second. This second work got the same critique as the first. At times i wondered if I needed to be there as well.~Muir

I had a few of those moments then I was in school. One of the first tasks was to take an irregular lump of 1/4" steel plate and file it into a 1" square, with all surfaces square to each other. When we were done we would bring it up to our Instructor's perch at the front of the shop and he would take out his square and go over it. If it didn't meet his approval -and no ones' did- he would sent it skipping down the concrete walk between the rows of benches. Our next project was to drill a half inch hole in another bit of plate and file that hole square so that the first project fit exactly into the second. This second work got the same critique as the first. At times i wondered if I needed to be there as well.~Muir

Hi Muir

While spot on as but a couple of the Drill Sargent-friendly gifts intended to challenge and condition the mostly 'green' recruits, this was stuff I frankly ate for breakfast both in terms of skill and mind set. Little if anything therefore to do with my departure as believe me please when I say nothing Vickers could cast my way came close to what I had endured and learnt to rise above during my confinement at orphanage between 1964 - 1973.

Sorry, suddenly felt the need to get that of my chest for the 1st time in 38 years!

Cheers

K

Especially for the lathe it is important to learn the angles, shapes and physics about the cutting tools. Then learn how to shape tools by hand on the grindstone.

............and how many so called gunsmiths know how to do that?? hardly any i can tell you that, they would be ****** if it was not for preformed throw away tooling!!

Ian.

Back