Thread: antlered doe

antlered doe

Stalking first light last Sunday with Matt .I chose to put him in a seat with the chance of a muntie but unfortunately for him none showed .I on the other hand shot a buck in a corn field as the first proper rays came through and i was able to identify what i was looking at through the bins in the half light .Moved from him to do a circuit to where Matt was but didnt get that far .Stalking along a hedgerow and glassing well out in front i spotted the tell tale flick of ears and antler sat out in the yet uncut corn.Roughly 200 yds so a steady walk in to get a better look .About 90 yds ,the deer had other ideas and rose to its feet facing me .A good hard look through bins showed a head still in velvet and a very scrawney body.Nothing at this stage lead me to believe it was none other than a very old ,thin buck ,top of the cull list .It stretched and turned broad side to which i shot it with no second thoughts.It ran to the nearest hedge and collapsed in the ditch .On report a roe kid got up from the same spot as the shot deer and ran the opposite way making me watch it for a while, bemused a bit i have to say . It ran to the far hedge ,maybe 300 yds away and stood ,an orphan maybe i thought clinging to the first deer it saw .Tracked the shot deer to its resting place and was horrified to find an antlered doe of some years .Realisation now kicked in and i retraced steps to find the kid before the gralloch .It had come some way back as they do and i admit i hurried a shot off sticks at about 130 but missed .I then emptied the mag at it on the run but missed totally.Matt phoned and i explained the situation which had him with me in no time at all to look for this kid .Luckily it was now in a field of linseed and stood out well.Matt ,bless him offered to do the deed whilst i gralloched the doe.Shortly after a single crack from his rifle finished the ordeal and we were able to study what is strictly a rarity in the roe world despite claims every year .This mishap ended well but could have so easily gone wrong with a follower left on its own .
    Last edited by foxdropper; 08-09-2013 at 09:37.

While not common, what appears to be antlered does are not that very rare,I say what appears to be as most are not true does but hermaphrodites or possibly freemartins, in your case as there was a kid at foot it would appear to be a true doe which is considerably rarer.

Looking at the photo it has a very doe like face, also the fact that it was in velvet at this time of year should have set alarm bells ringing.

Not being holier than thou as while not having shot one personally, over the years I have been responsible for three being shot while guiding clients.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 08-09-2013 at 14:37.

Well done for your honesty in posting this and for getting the kid dealt with. Hopefully it will save someone else making the same mistake?

I have seen two old bucks in the past that remained in velvet throughout the summer with stumpy headsets and were eventually culled by myself .First indication of this was that it was another.In 30 years of stalking in a dense roe area its the first ive seen or heard of .She was old mind and had at some time had a broken foreleg .

A good, honest post that, as has been said might lead some of us to double check for pizzle/lack of anal tush (in roe) etc more often.

When I lived in Wiltshire 10 years ago (near Marlborough) we had a doe ran over on the road in early July. Shooting the kids with a shotgun was one of the hardest things I have done but I realised how necessary it was. (The light was going and they were in standing cereal crop so long netting was out.)

FD - was the doe normal in every other way i.e., repro organs, signs of illness etc I wonder what other people think was more likely to have lead to the abnormality; a hormonal imbalance from extreme old age or the leg injury affecting it as it can with bucks' antlers? Might be worth moving the post to 'Diseases and Biology' where the helpful vets hang out?

just got back from scotland . shot this doe with one button felt really **** when i first seen it thought i had cocked up on the id . especially
    because it was a very strong runner . a lung shot with 65grain vmax and she still managed to run over 100meters into thick forest. it took me what seemed for ever to find her.well it wasnt me who found her it was buzz my lab.so glad he was there again i will never stalk without him again .
    this doe only had the one small button unlike yours. do you think there was any chance that the kid would have survived .

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    just got back from scotland . shot this doe with one button felt really **** when i first seen it thought i had cocked up on the id . especially
    because it was a very strong runner . a lung shot with 65grain vmax and she still managed to run over 100meters into thick forest. it took me what seemed for ever to find her.well it wasnt me who found her it was buzz my lab.so glad he was there again i will never stalk without him again .
    this doe only had the one small button unlike yours. do you think there was any chance that the kid would have survived .
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you saying you've shot this doe in the last day or so? From the pic it appears she's in full winter coat. I appreciate roe will be going through coat change shortly, but does anyone else think that's very early?

Novice

I put the antlers down to extreme old age and hormonal changes that go with it .Apart from the broken leg there were no other physical signs of degeneration or disease although she was thin .May not have survived the winter and the kid certainly wouldnt have .It was half the size of everything else im seeing so no regrets at all really .Edited to say thanks to Matt for clearing up my mistake.
    Last edited by foxdropper; 09-09-2013 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you saying you've shot this doe in the last day or so? From the pic it appears she's in full winter coat. I appreciate roe will be going through coat change shortly, but does anyone else think that's very early?

Novice
    this picture was from last winter .

foxdropper you did the right thing nobody wants to them suffering.

You done the right thing