Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: urgent help please - bolt won't retract...

urgent help please - bolt won't retract...

Hi all...

I'm in a tricky situation...

I've just adjusted the trigger on my Howa 1500, and put it all back together.

For the safety test, I put a spent case in the chamber and inserted the bolt. On pushing the bolt forward and attempting to cock the rifle (safety on), the bolt would not close fully, only going over part way.

I tried removing the bolt, but it won't retract...

What now?!

What did I do wrong?

Pippa

Wherebouts are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder
    Pippa

Wherebouts are you?
    Near Minehead...

Hi Pippa, just sent you my cull record. Sounds like the problem is that the case, having not been resized, is too big for the chamber and is now stuck! Don't worry, its not a big deal, hit the bolt handle up with a lump of firewood! (or a rubber panel beaters hammer if you happen to be a panel beater) Seriously! I bet it will only take a relatively gentle but sharp tap to free it. Having said this, this is what I would do with my rifle, you must make your own decision! There is no problem dry fireing centerfire rifles. Hope this helps! JC

Sounds as if the extractor has not positively engaged with the cartridge case head and has now jammed against the chamber wall - possibly caused by having the case already inserted in the chamber rather than picked up from the mag as per usual.

If you can rotate the bolt into the position in which it would normally slide back, then place a cleaning rod from the muzzle to engage with the case, a few gentle taps with a mallet might ease it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    Sounds as if the extractor has not positively engaged with the cartridge case head and has now jammed against the chamber wall - possibly caused by having the case already inserted in the chamber rather than picked up from the mag as per usual.

If you can rotate the bolt into the position in which it would normally slide back, then place a cleaning rod from the muzzle to engage with the case, a few gentle taps with a mallet might ease it out.
    Yup - I inserted the case manually into the chamber as it would not slide properly from the mag...

I will try both yours and JC275's suggestions...

Sorry Pippa I thought you were close when I read you'd be passing by Eddies for the plasterers bath. I was going to offer to take a look at it for you.

I cant add anymore than what the other fella's have suggested.

Good luck

RF

Phew!!! That did the trick....

A couple of sharp taps with a bit of firewood got the bolt back up and it slid out fine.

The cleaning rod needed a good few hard taps to encourage the case out (I rested the butt on the floor to use gravity for a bit more help), but it's now out... phew...

embrrassed but have now learned another lesson...

I'll use a dummy round next time...

Many, many, thanks....

Glad you've solved the problem. No need for a dummy round. No problem squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber, in fact, plenty of dry firing is good for your trigger control. JC

rangefinder - I'll only be close to Eddy on Nov 8/9 as I'm in the area for lwcdart's fallow cull... thanks for the offer though!

JC275 - the only reason I was using a spent round was to do a safety test - slam the bolt shut, tap the rifle on it's butt, etc., to make sure the trigger didn't go off accidentally... I've never done this before, but I'd gathered that these tests were a good check, and that you needed a dummy/spent round inserted for the best test... I may well be wrong...