Thread: Eka Swingblade

Eka Swingblade

Does anyone have any tips for sharpening the Eka Swingblade, i am struggling to get the concaved blade sharp. I have resorted to using a butchers steel but cant get it very sharp. Has anyone had any experience of using a sharpening stone to get the knife sharp?

I used a Blade-tech it took an age but its well worth the effort bazil

Fine wet and dry paper wrapped around a piece of dowel.
    Or splash the cash on a round section diamond steel.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hughes View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for sharpening the Eka Swingblade, i am struggling to get the concaved blade sharp. I have resorted to using a butchers steel but cant get it very sharp. Has anyone had any experience of using a sharpening stone to get the knife sharp?
    You only use this to unzip the skin. I just run it through the ceramic rollers on any of the handy "sharpeners" which are really honers out there. I hold the blade still and roll the honer over it. Still unzips as expected over the years.

Why do I use this knife? Because cold hands mean lack of feeling when I've got both sets of fingers on the same blade. The EKA allows me to only have one hand on the knife.

​Stan

Get a lansky two rod ,turn box gets mine like a razor missus reckons its so sharp it's dangerous

I sharpen mine with a Lansky rod and clamp system but the blade needs to be carefully positioned at an angle with the clamp closer to the tip than the centre so the hone delivers the same angle of grind as it goes round the belly. You need to watch the hone as it goes round the curve and adjust the pasition of the blade in the clamp until you get it right
    To be honest though, I've stopped using it in the field because it doesn't keep an edge well and its a pig to clean. I don't think that clip-point stlye blade is the best shape for gralloching either.
    I use a Boker now which has a far better edge. All it needs is a quick strop on leather after each use to keep it sweet.

Sorry, I can't see the point of buying a Swingblade. It just seems way over priced for what it is.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

stan the curved zip blade is very good for skinning run the blade under the skin on the legs does a good job