Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interchanging .223 and 5.56NATO ammunition

Interchanging .223 and 5.56NATO ammunition

Forgive me if this has come up before. I have done a search prior to posting but can't find anything.
    A firearms dealer has told me that I can have a lot of inexpensive shooting by buying a .223 and using "cheap military" ammunition in it.
    Now I know that the calibres are identical, but I think there are subtle differences in the profile of the casings and also the thickness of the brass, if a long and boring American You tube video is to be believed.
    I would value your informed opinions please.

I use both in a Steyr AUG with no issues however here is a link
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Used in a CZ, no problems at all, and apparently even CZ USA say no issue as chamber is designed to use both.

Neil.

Be careful! SAAMI pressures are not the same. You can get away with .308 Win and 7.62mm. I personally wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by HarrisonDeerServices; 08-09-2013 at 19:37.

I have used in a CZ with no problems however you must be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    I have used in a CZ with no problems however you must be careful!
    What do you mean 'be careful' do you mean be careful when you pull the trigger, be careful when you load or be careful where you point it when you shoot ?
    I have used both 308/7.62 and .223/5.56 and, apart from the bullet, have not noticed any difference and that has been in a variety of makes of rifle.

I think both my .223 and .308 have fired roughly the same amount of a couple of thousand plinking surplus on paper just because I'm cheap like that. A very wise man and one of the best shots I knew always said 'shot lots cheap and get good quick'.

Some .223 are .223 wyld chamber which is slighty larger to account for the longer heavier for cal bullets of the NATO rounds thus being able to shoot both well. Check what you have as the shorter spec straight .223 may mean the mil surp rounds are jammed onto the lands and increase the pressure significantly.

My understanding (after a wee bit of research some time ago) is that the 5.56 and 223 are interchangeable.

I am clear also, that the 7.62x51 can be used in a 308win rifle, but you should not use the 308 in a military rifle chambered for 7.62, apparently 308win ammo is loaded to higher pressures than 7.62.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    My understanding (after a wee bit of research some time ago) is that the 5.56 and 223 are interchangeable.

I am clear also, that the 7.62x51 can be used in a 308win rifle, but you should not use the 308 in a military rifle chambered for 7.62, apparently 308win ammo is loaded to higher pressures than 7.62.

+1