Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To epoxy or not to epoxy scope fittings to a Sauer

To epoxy or not to epoxy scope fittings to a Sauer

Looking at the instructions for mounting the fittings for the scope on my Sauer, it says to fix them in place with a two part glue - ie epoxy like araldite. I don't like the sound of that, hate to put things on that will be a sod to get off! Does anyone have any issues with screws loosening on a Sauer or something similar? I am inclined to ignore the instruction.

If its purely for the screws then use a blue loctite instead

Its for the mounts ! usually AEW mounts, you apply about a match head size of epoxy and also have to sand off the blueing. Mine came with mounts glued and screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    If its purely for the screws then use a blue loctite instead
    ​+1

It depends if its for the Sauer 202 outback there was a problem with the mounting system there steel screws were stripping the threads on the inside of the Alloy action so they solved it with Glue. That would not fill me with confidence but i am sure thet tested it.

Think I'll compromise with the blue loctite then. Sauer 101 by the way.

Sometimes or mostly the surface contacts of mounts do not mate perfectly. This leads to a connection that is not as stiff as it should be and can loosen. A cheap easy option is to glue with a non shrinkage glue like a bedding material or filled epoxy. Taking apart can be a problem and removing of glue often results in scratched surfaces. One option I use is to apply release agent to the rifle and apply blue Loctite to the screws. With expensive mounts I also apply release agent to the mounts. Then apply aluminium or steel filled epoxy (not quick setting version) between the mating surfaces and tighten up lightly. I then mount a scope that has it's turrets set on middle position and check via bore sighting. I then tap the mounts left or right within the play of the mount screws until bore sighted at least the windage.
    Then a day later after curing of the epoxy I torque up the mount screws. The epoxy acts as a perfect mating surface and compression is well distributed. Removing is easy and the epoxy will just peel away.
    edi

I am all for bedding material or filling agent between mating surfaces but epoxy on screws is for bodging!
    loctite or get it retapped!!

Its not on the Screw's it's for bonding the bases of Apel quick release mounts to the action.