Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The cost of cull and trophy animals.

The cost of cull and trophy animals.

Has anyone noticed the huge difference some companies charge for their trophy and cull animals? Some stalkers charge no cull fee, and you can buy the venison. Others charge a cull fee and you can keep it regardless of size. And others charge a cull fee and will then sell you the venison on top! If this is management stalking then IMHO it's taking the piss!

So whats a fair price for a cull buck? Shats a fair price for an 8 point trophy Sika stag? Is it fair that you are charged a cull fee and then have to pay for the venison? What does everyone think?

All the best.
    MJ

A fair price for culls beasts is the price of the stalk, about 65-75 and then the current price of venison from the game dealer.

A fair price for a trophy sika stag is the price of the stalk, about 65-75 and then the current price of venison from the game dealer.

You will probably have noticed no trophy fee!!

wadashot

I believe in paying for the stalkers time and tuition and the venison. If the stalker is good I give him a bottle of Malt whiskey as a thank you. If he is bad I don't go back and you get to hear it here. I have paid 175 for a cull buck plus venison 40. That West Country Sh-t house won't get my business again! The other side of the story is that the stalker has to pay for the stalking and the other expenses, so fair play to the honest chaps! There are some shady people out there though. I have heard from one bloke's own mouth that he pays for alot more land than he will ever need to keep the 'likes of you' (he ment novices like you and I) away from the deer! This was his justification to charge me so much. A double sting!!!

wadashot,

I am not advocating greed but if a man is to make a living, how can he charge 65 for a days stalk and no trophy fee or whatever. If he owns the land it is not so bad, but, if he has to buy the stalking from an estate or whatever, he could well end up paying for someone else's stalking. That does not seem right to me.

I get my stalking free and am glad to pass it on to my friends for the same fee. However, if it was how I made my living, and had to pay for the stalking then I think a fair price could be arrived at.

I am sure that a professional could put the case far more comprehensively than I.

You may now shout at me.

John

JAYB, Wadashot said 65 - 75 per stalk, not per day. Pro stalkers can take clients out for 2 stalks per day. So can easily make 150 per day, plus cull and or venison charges.

I'm not saying thats a good, bad or indifferent living as I don't know their costs.

Good point JayB but we all know the scammers are out there! 200 a day muntjac stalking, plus venison!!
    By the way I'm sending up some busuits for my deer you have locked in your shed, I want him big and meaty for when I come up!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I believe in paying for the stalkers time and tuition and the venison. If the stalker is good I give him a bottle of Malt whiskey as a thank you. If he is bad I don't go back and you get to hear it here. I have paid 175 for a cull buck plus venison 40. That West Country Sh-t house won't get my business again! The other side of the story is that the stalker has to pay for the stalking and the other expenses, so fair play to the honest chaps! There are some shady people out there though. I have heard from one bloke's own mouth that he pays for alot more land than he will ever need to keep the 'likes of you' (he ment novices like you and I) away from the deer! This was his justification to charge me so much. A double sting!!!
    You know Beowulf, it's funny, but I'm not suprised about people buying up land to keep it as exclusive as possible. I fly fish, and many people do similar with the fishing rights.

Hi MJ,
    Without giving too much away, can you tell me what part of the country the 'dodgy' stalker came from. He sounds familiar!

In my opinion and experience 100.00 per day and definitely no cull fees; buy the venison if you want it.

Do be careful out there, some very shady characters about!

JAYB.

You say that a stalker may have to pay for the stalking rights so has to charge accordingly to get his money back, this does bring back the old chestnut of stalkers buying up land for thousands of pounds and therefore making stalking a more exclusive sport.

I have said in the past that i would not pay for trophy animals, they do not interest me, but i don`t knock people for wanting to, but upwards of 500+ stalking fee+venison costs to shoot a deer is making it very exclusive, plus, why should any animal have a price on it`s head?

65-75 per stalk and the venison is to my mind enough!!!.

wadashot

Quote Originally Posted by Blaser3006
    In my opinion and experience 100.00 per day and definitely no cull fees; buy the venison if you want it.

Do be careful out there, some very shady characters about!
    Does this include wildboar Blaser3006