Scope mount lapping and alignment

esoxecosse

I'm just about to fit a Duralyt onto my wee Ruger and would really like to lapp and align the rings to ensure little or no damage to the scope, was hoping there maybe a kind gent in the Dumfries and Galloway area who may have the kit I may get a lend of, I would buy it but Optics Warehouse are out of stock and I have near £100 worth of credit with them so can't really afford to go and buy it elsewhere, will probably be getting a trigger pull gauge and mini torque wrench from that credit so anyone local are more than welcome to get a loan of those when they arrive.

Many thanks for any responses.

Cheers

MarkC

do you know what the actual diameter of the scope is?
is it concentric?

lots of variance in the outer coating to some scopes.

what rings?
Some rings have a inner diameter that is to spec when the rings are not closed fully. these can be torqued up higher and lower giving different clamp pressure
some others require the rings to be closed and the tension is only from the difference between inner diameter and scope tube

if you really want to get into it consider bedding the rings when fitting but none of that helps unless you know the design of the rings and the actual sizes involved

Why bother simple solution is to buy a set of burris rings with plastic inserts, they self align and wont mark the scope.

No need to buy a trigger pull guage, simple tie a piece of fishing line to the neck a small plastic bottle and make a loop other other end. Load rifle preferably with snap cap or fired case rest rifle butt on table muzzle pointing vertically up, hook loop over trigger, safety off and via a jug slowly add water to plastic bottle until rifle fires. Then simply remove bottle and weigh on kitchen scales.

Your first attempt will be crap but once you have an idea of the weight , fill bottle to 80% of weight and repeat, you will find v accurate and costs nowt.

D

I'm just about to fit a Duralyt onto my wee Ruger and would really like to lapp and align the rings to ensure little or no damage to the scope, was hoping there maybe a kind gent in the Dumfries and Galloway area who may have the kit I may get a lend of, I would buy it but Optics Warehouse are out of stock and I have near £100 worth of credit with them so can't really afford to go and buy it elsewhere, will probably be getting a trigger pull gauge and mini torque wrench from that credit so anyone local are more than welcome to get a loan of those when they arrive.

Many thanks for any responses.

Cheers

MarkC

Find a length of silver steel the same diameter as your scope, use this to lap and align your rings. Suitable fine paste will highlight high spots in the rings making them more concentric...always fit scope with caution...especially in Ruger rings!

Thanks all for your replies, just gauged the Duralyt and the objective side of the tube was 30.1mm to 30.2mm, the eyepiece side was 30mm to 30.1mm.
Don't have the Ruger rings yet, still on their way so can't really gauge those.
I had ordered the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts and the Burris adapter bases but the adapters way overhung the ejection port and over the top of the barrel, the other alternative would have been a picatinny rail but the one I liked would have had to come from the states, so the Burris gear is on it's way back to Optics Warehouse, so I thought I'd try Ruger's own mounts.
I'd just like to be confident they're not gonna damage the scope.
Will see if I can find some 30mm OD bar and see what the alignment of them are like.

Cheers

MarkC

Thanks all for your replies, just gauged the Duralyt and the objective side of the tube was 30.1mm to 30.2mm, the eyepiece side was 30mm to 30.1mm. Don't have the Ruger rings yet, still on their way so can't really gauge those. I had ordered the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts and the Burris adapter bases but the adapters way overhung the ejection port and over the top of the barrel, the other alternative would have been a picatinny rail but the one I liked would have had to come from the states, so the Burris gear is on it's way back to Optics Warehouse, so I thought I'd try Ruger's own mounts. I'd just like to be confident they're not gonna damage the scope. Will see if I can find some 30mm OD bar and see what the alignment of them are like. Cheers MarkC

Make sure it's silver steel!

Back