Nice surprise last night

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I was sitting in my lounge last night in front of the TV, it was five minutes past nine, when I saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. I looked out the patio doors and there sitting on the patio table, which is no more than 8-10 feet from the doors, was a Barn Owl. It was busy watching a hedgehog that was getting stuck into the Pine Martens food on the patio doorsteps, it just sat there for a minute or so and then took off. It was a first for me a Barn Owl in the garden, plenty of Tawny but first Barn Owl, silly as it seems I was really chuffed.

John

And you have every right to be john, they are quite rare in the wild.
We have one that comes and lands on the roof of the doe box, she uses it as a viewing point.

We have quite a few around here John.
Tawny and Barn.
Nice to see.
I enjoy the red squirrels coming to the bird table in my garden,would love to see Pine Marten here too,even if they will predate upon the squirrel.
See a few Pine Marten but not in the numbers there will be where you are.

We tend to see one when ever we go lamping and start to squeak a fox in. They are amazing when they fly only a few feet above your head.

Always great to see them isn't it :) they're not at all rare around here lots of barn and tawny owls , must've seen at least 8 since I came back in February , when I was in Canada I saw quite a few snowy owls in the wild that really made my day!

love a barn owl! i was sat in a high seat one early morning and i managed to squeak one with in 6ft of me, i stayed dead still, it knew i wasn't natural... hovered for 5-10 secs then gracefully soared off!!

imagejpeg
snowy female just outside the house I rented they hung around for quite a while :)
imagejpeg

Barn Owl on your door step .....your very lucky , I would love to see one in my garden ..............keep a camera handy in case it comes back and get us some pics

We are really lucky in Dorset, so much so that they are not a rarity.
Often get buzzed by Tawny Owls when fox squeaking and almost any rough ground will get get visited by Barn Owls and of course deer:norty: hence the regular sightings

Two wise old owls having a face off john lol. We have a few Barn Owls but i do find them stunning birds.

Funny you mention this john we usually have a barn owl resident at our farm,but in the last 2months i have seen about 5 different ones usually late at night but this morning i watched one eating a mole perched on the barbi table, great start to the day!!

They are not rare with us, we always see them when we are out lamping, it's just the first one I have seen while I was watching the TV, and there was no adverts :)

John

There is simply something about the Owls and Barn Owls in particular that just capture the soul.

Here on the edge of the fens that are quite common and we get daily visits during the winter months but less in summer. I have been wondering if it must be a male and during the breeding season moves to her territory?

We also get Little owls fairly regular. Visits by what I think is a Tawny owl now and then. The Barn Owl likes the tension wire tot eh telephone pole opposite the conservatory which is about 15 feet from the door.

I read this the other day and commented that i usually see one while out lamping. Well out yesterday saw two but both were just sat out in the middle of fields. Amazing things to see.
We also get quite a few Little Owls about.

Back