Thread: New phone scam

New phone scam

International call ID pops up so I thought it would be a pal from overseas but an Indian sounding gent is on the other end starts his pitch. He starts telling me he's from microsoft security and that my computer has been sending out lots of error messages, spam etc and needs to be blocked. OK? so I go along with it to see what the crack is but basically they want you to type a command into your command prompt so they can get the details they need to hack your computer and rip any bank details etc you have.

He had this story that my unique microsoft computer ID let them track my computer to my telephone number so I asked him how that could be possible, what system I had and how they could track my number down when I hadn't even registered the computer anywhere.

SCAM watch out!

My Dads nearly had this trick pulled on him!
    the chap on the phone told him that he(my Dad) had reported the problem when his computer had crashed by using the Microsoft report an error thingie and he(the con-man) had contacted him to help him.Luckily my brother was at the house at the time and wasn't particularly P.C with his reply to the chap on the phone.

I've had this and it's pretty simple (working for a large West Coast IT Vendor means that I have heard very clever people using long words that mean nothing to me...)

Firstly say that this is brilliant as your computer has just crashed and and they have jumped onto the error message really quickly, and you're really pleased that you took out the extra cover for live-live monitoring rather than cold-standby and you'd have lost the last 15 minutes of data otherwise.

Then ask him if it's a conflict between Windows and your local configs of either Solaris and Linux. You have dual boots of Oracle Linux and Red Hat Linux and don't know which is causing the conflict, but your MSP is denying all responsibility, but as you have him on the line, can he do a track and trace and find the conflict.

This is all complete b*ll*cks, but the phone goes dead pretty quickly.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I've had this and it's pretty simple (working for a large West Coast IT Vendor means that I have heard very clever people using long words that mean nothing to me...)

Firstly say that this is brilliant as your computer has just crashed and and they have jumped onto the error message really quickly, and you're really pleased that you took out the extra cover for live-live monitoring rather than cold-standby and you'd have lost the last 15 minutes of data otherwise.

Then ask him if it's a conflict between Windows and your local configs of either Solaris and Linux. You have dual boots of Oracle Linux and Red Hat Linux and don't know which is causing the conflict, but your MSP is denying all responsibility, but as you have him on the line, can he do a track and trace and find the conflict.

This is all complete b*ll*cks, but the phone goes dead pretty quickly.
    As soon as they start i just ask them if they would like my bank details. Dead phone straight away.

just tell them
    'oh thats odd I use a mac' its quicker than shouting or telling them to p*** off

It's as old as the hills, I know, but here's one way to deal with 'em...

Yup
    They tried this with me, I spun it out for 25 mins, leading the girl on, before finally cracking and telling her what a ****** she was, laughing my head of, She blew her top, started ranting and swearing at me

There's also another one I've been told of, It's in the form of a phone call supposedly from your Bank saying you have 15 minutes to give them personal details to allow them to act on your behalf or you will lose money from your account due to a computer problem they have.