Schmidt and Bender scopes.

MJ75

Gents

Why do S & B sell scopes made in Hungary for significantly less than those made in Germany? Example local gunsmiths prices :-

8 X 56 30mm S & B made in Hungary £410.

8 X 56 30mm S & B made in Germany £516.

Yet the product is identical in every way. Are labour rates in Hungary that much less than in Germany?

MJ

Must be?

I am still waiting for York Guns to ring me back when they get some in.
I have been waiting now for 4 years, every time I asked they are coming or we had some you should have come last week, useless buggers I went elsewhere in the end, and bought a leopold

rant over

Yes, labour rates are much cheaper in Hungary.
Unlike some products that are made cheeper in other countries like China they have not compromised on the quality.

I have two S/Bs 6x42 and they are brill. How can you argue with something that gives you a 30 year guarantee?

wadashot

I had Hungarian staff working for me in Greece. They were paid £8 day, plus accomodation and were rather delighted with that.

That was four years ago tho

Bobt
I know the wait has been long because of the contract to supply the USMC but 4 years seems extreme!
I waited a few months for my Zenith but wouldn't go for anything else now.
S&B it's the scope for me!

Hi MJ75,

I thought the difference in price between the German and the Hungarian scopes was because the metal that was used for the tubes. One steel and the other alloy!? Can any one out there clarify.

Regards

Funnily enough when I enquired about a Nightforce with York Guns in 2003 they promised to ring me when they had some in. Still waiting, went elsewhere in the end. Strikes me they are geared up to sell high volumes at quite low margins therefore probably do not have the staff to offer a full service. Bit like Cosco in the supermarkets, very cheap, if it' s in stock fine but if not then forget it.

A1

looks like i was not the only one who is still waiting for a new scope from york guns except i phone them every fortnight just to be told it is on its way ,will keep trying may get a discount against the phone bill, nah :evil:

Stone
Try contacting the other S&B dealers as they are all priced pretty much the same though I think Andersons have some at the moment £100 ish cheaper than the rest.

thanks Dickie,
i think i will try the sportsman, see if i can go on their waiting list aswell :lol: :evil:

i bought my s&b 8x56 (30mm tube) from avalon guns.
they were very cheap, off the top of my head im sure i only paid £375 for it, although it was nearly 3 years ago and i did buy 2 so i cant remember if i got a discount!! :rolleyes:
worth giving them a try as they were certainly cheaper than anyone else when i bought mine.
the service was very freindly too!! :D

duggers

duggers that is a sore point
i ordered a 22 win mag of avalon ,4 months later after numerous phone calls it arrived so the phone call told me , so £50 of fuel in the motor and of down the M5 i goes, pulls up out side the shop(across the otherside of the road on the pavement) jumps out the motor, big grin on my face ,hand im my pocket clenching a big roll of notes goes in the shop does i ,

says' i hav come to collect a 22win mag ',

he says 'sorry sir they not come in yet , still at the dock' says he

Guess which dock it was not the one in this country , no, just about to set sail from america it was ,
so to say the least never dealt with that fat t**t again
major rant over :evil: :evil:

stone

ps i got my 22 win mag from derek lee guns at toft tumby' very nice man' :D

Both my S&Bs came from sportsman but that was a while ago. Have you tried york guns :confused: Im sure they have them in stock :!:
Its so bloody annoying when you order something & it takes ages to arrive. I ordered my Steyr pro hunter from sportsman & didnt hear a thing for weeks. When i phoned all they said were there on there way then it was there in the docks then customs have held them.
If places advertise things they should make sure they have stock & not Pi#s people about.
In the end i upgraded to a stainless steyr they had in stock that cost me an extra £100 :rolleyes: Glad i did tho :D

Strange how Avalon Guns keep coming up with bad reports. They have been criticized many times before on another forum. They seem to make promises they cant keep.
They are not far from me, but I never shop there.

Probably wouldn't now anyway

Back