Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You think this is a deer problem?!!

You think this is a deer problem?!!

I've been trying to convince the farmer where I shoot rabbits, etc, that there are too many deer, mainly Muntjac. I was told this morning that I am allowed to shoot 'one or two' for the freezer, which is a start, but I don't think it will help with the damage, do you??

These are 3 examples of the damage that is the same all over 1000 acres of land!! They have a 15acre area of new plantation which is surrounded by hawthorn hedgerows that look the same and there are munties everywhere in there! There are Roe too but I'm not allowed to touch them, yet!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I think that is mainly due to the spiral tree guards mate - nice try though!
    MS

Gotta agree with MS my thoughts would be to do what the landowner wants mate and make sure he is happy.Deer management is different for us all and if you're landowner only wants one or two shot then thats what it needs to be.

From those photos I would agree with the tree guards comment but "one or two" is definitely a start and the with the 1st one I would definitely give the fillets, the rolled haunches and a few burgers / sausages to the landowner.

Plus (at some stage) give him a copy of the report on Monks Wood (near Huntingdon) which shows what devastation munties can cause.

That should make him lose his ability to count?

Good luck.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I've been trying to convince the farmer where I shoot rabbits, etc, that there are too many deer, mainly Muntjac. I was told this morning that I am allowed to shoot 'one or two' for the freezer, which is a start, but I don't think it will help with the damage, do you??

These are 3 examples of the damage that is the same all over 1000 acres of land!! They have a 15acre area of new plantation which is surrounded by hawthorn hedgerows that look the same and there are munties everywhere in there! There are Roe too but I'm not allowed to touch them, yet!!

Its his land and it sounds like he very much like to see the deer around. Just think yourself lucky for what you have got. One or two is better than none + all the rabbit shooting. I am sure a lot of people would like what you have so I personaly would not push to hard. Its much easier to lose a permission than gain one.

Hmm. In the end is it the landowner who decides if he wants to see few or a lot of deer or his land, and we stalkers have to accept that our activities have to fit in with what the landowner wants or doesn't want. In fact, in my book, the landowners' wishes take priority over so-called 'deer management' - if he wants them all eliminated than do so, or at least try. If he wants them all left, leave them and find some other stalking... so don't push the issue, or he'll push you out.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I think that is mainly due to the spiral tree guards mate - nice try though!
    MS
    Ah you see that's why I'm still learning, although there are other areas without guards too, thanks for that.

Thanks for the advice chaps I won't be pushing as like you say, good shooting is hard to come by. We shoot this and another 2 of his farms totalling about 2500 acres and are doing the job well so far. I'm just keen!!

Trail cam Stratters or get out at deer oclock with a video camera and gather the evidence even if only for yourself.
    I assume youve identified plenty of slots and crotties about and signs of fraying etc?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Ah you see that's why I'm still learning, although there are other areas without guards too, thanks for that.

Thanks for the advice chaps I won't be pushing as like you say, good shooting is hard to come by. We shoot this and another 2 of his farms totalling about 2500 acres and are doing the job well so far. I'm just keen!!
    You'll also find that anything up to that height is as likely to be hare or rabbit damage as deer. You can tell the difference though! Hares and rabbits have opposing incisors and will leave a very clean cut appearance to eaten stems, whereas deer have lower incisors which bite against a fleshy pad which leaves a very ragged or torn appearance to eaten stems. Every day is a school day with deer management Stratts and that's the way it should be!
    MS

I remember that from the DSC1 but I find it actually quite hard to see the signs for meself, but it'll come, ta!

I've been putting a cam out and every time, no matter where it is there's a flaming munty pops up!! It's been out for a couple of days again so will see tmoro what's on it this time! Place your bets, lol!!!

This was the last one