Thread: Do Dogs see in colour?

Do Dogs see in colour?

Well yes, I know they do!,..... you walk in our house with a Sainsbury's orange bag, you are gonna get searched for the Pig's Ears!!, .. Tesco's ... no reaction, Aldi same 'o, samo 'e ...... any one want to add Ow't?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

No dogs dont they see in black and white and shades iv just looked it up in my blacks veterinary book to double check lol

Quote Originally Posted by adrian0100 View Post
    No dogs dont they see in black and white and shades iv just looked it up in my blacks veterinary book to double check lol

Correct It just black and white but I would how they know myself! Probably the vet on here will let us know.

Black and White as in monochrome, not black or white.

Orange will be a different shade than blue or red, neither black or white.

​Stan

Since it appears dogs don't see in colour maybe they can read?

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Well yes, I know they do!,..... you walk in our house with a Sainsbury's orange bag, you are gonna get searched for the Pig's Ears!!, .. Tesco's ... no reaction, Aldi same 'o, samo 'e ...... any one want to add Ow't?
    it's the sound of the carrier bags, there are different grades of plastic between the stores own bags that makes a different crinkle and your dog knows the script

Our Terrier seems to recognise the postmans red bag every day.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

all i know is my english pointer can see a raven at a great distance and ignore a bright red helicopter over his head when he is on point to a snipe ,so he can see black and not red ,

I'm sure a vet will be along shortly to correct me, but in the meantime there was an article on gundog sight in the ST a wee while ago. Not sure i cn mind the correct terms thou

They do see in colour but a far narrower spectrum of colours, can't just remember precisly wot colours thou, for dummies for gundog training a purple shows up really well or black and white (because off the contrast) but greens and oranges are very hard for the dogs to make out by sight so handy for gettin ur dog to hunt using its nose

FB that's just dogs gettin clever and associating the orange bag with a tasty treat, in effect u have trained ur dog o do it. Dogs their as fly as a bag of monkeys