Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ponchos in highseats?

Ponchos in highseats?

Does anyone use a poncho while sitting in their highseat to keep the elements at bay?

I had my 1st solo sit out in one tnite and after only 2 hrs of steady (not heavy) rain I realised my so called waterproof gear was pants!! Got me thinking as you don't move about much that an army poncho would do the trick as it wouldn't need to be dead quiet? Could be rolled up and kept in the roe sack maybe?

Pro's and cons anyone?

Ta
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Not a bad idea , but for the ultimate high seat gear get yourself one of these , I saved up and bout one , I now have 3 and they're all I wear night lambing .

Special 6 Shirt - Buffalo

Thanks mate just found the trousers too on ebay not a bad price. Would be nice to try some on though but can't find a retailer, any ideas?

Ta

Lots of places sell Buffalo shirts. They are excellent as a layered system but they are not waterproof! A snug fit is recommended to trap air and wick moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Lots of places sell Buffalo shirts. They are excellent as a layered system but they are not waterproof! A snug fit is recommended to trap air and wick moisture.
    Bugger back to the poncho idea then!!

You can buy brolly type roofs, you could make one though.

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Does anyone use a poncho while sitting in their highseat to keep the elements at bay?

I had my 1st solo sit out in one tnite and after only 2 hrs of steady (not heavy) rain I realised my so called waterproof gear was pants!! Got me thinking as you don't move about much that an army poncho would do the trick as it wouldn't need to be dead quiet? Could be rolled up and kept in the roe sack maybe?

Pro's and cons anyone?

Ta
    JE, being an ex-boy scout, had his usual golf umbrella with him (green of course) and stayed dry.

Hi ya poncho seems like a good idea and have tried out a few standard types, however they all made a bit of noise and actually caught the breeze a bit too, best of with quality lightweight full waterproof and bite the bullet of cost. an alternative is a fully waterproof suit like a sleeping bag with arms and legs sold via Cabellas they are nice and snug for the long high seat wait.

​cheers

Buffalos are great, not in the slightest bit waterproof tho. For warm gear I'd highly recommend a RAB Neutrino. Awesome jacket.
    For wet weather I'd say go on ebay and type in USMC Goretex. They get issued gore tex that actually works unlike the British military stuff. You can get the full suit aswell, may cost abit. Worth it tho.

Regards

​JR

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    JE, being an ex-boy scout, had his usual golf umbrella with him (green of course) and stayed dry.
    ​Ha ha he'll learn us young(ish) uns!! Enjoyed the evening mate even though nothing showed!