Thread: Interesting Article in G&A on the .308

Interesting Article in G&A on the .308

Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

So, he's just pushing his pet 6.5

Stan

I read this a few hours ago, via an American forum - it's not going down very well in the US!

More deer are wounded by poorly placed shots than lack of energy i'll hazard ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I can't say it's anything new to me but as allways some see things through rose coloured glasses.
    I shoot .308 for most things again as he states in the article out to about 200-250 & yes with 180gr soft points, with consistently great results but don't push it beyond that, for smaller stuff I then use my .270 out to 400-450m espically for foxing (I just love it) then move up to the big boys for bigger quarry 300wm or 375H&Hmag depending on range, whilst I love the 308 & use it for 80% of my deer shooting, it, like all calibres has its limitations of practical use and a good hunter will know the limits of his cartridge & himself with it!
    At the end of the day I know when I'm stretching my limits & that of my calibre in my hands & whilst others are confident at longer ranges I must admit that out to 250yds is my comfort zone with .308 as the article suggests.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Maybe it's just me though I doubt it, why would you need/want other than survival to shoot large game at 800 + yds ? WTF for ? 308 or any cal for that matter, have we truly lost our ability/want to hunt and get as close as you can ? for me anyway that is the ultimate challenge, read the wind stalk, stealth get to the closest point possible hell if your that good stick the muzzle in his ear just my tuppence worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    maybe it's just me though i doubt it, why would you need/want other than survival to shoot large game at 800 + yds ? Wtf for ? 308 or any cal for that matter, have we truly lost our ability/want to hunt and get as close as you can ? For me anyway that is the ultimate challenge, read the wind stalk, stealth get to the closest point possible hell if your that good stick the muzzle in his ear just my tuppence worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    Maybe it's just me though I doubt it, why would you need/want other than survival to shoot large game at 800 + yds ? WTF for ? 308 or any cal for that matter, have we truly lost our ability/want to hunt and get as close as you can ? for me anyway that is the ultimate challenge, read the wind stalk, stealth get to the closest point possible hell if your that good stick the muzzle in his ear just my tuppence worth.
    Totally agree, we call it deer stalking the clue is in the title. Spot through binos, stalk in, take the shot.

If you want extreme range shooting, get on a range & shoot paper.
    Wingy

There are people shooting stuff, some of it very dangerous, at very long ranges indeed with a 308. If this bloke isn't good enough to achieve that then it is best he doesn't try. All journalism and reporting is about entertainment, even the stuff they pretend is serious, so the facts always come a long way down the priority list. About 2 million kids die each year from malaria, that's a lot each day, but pictures of bombs going off are much better entertainment. When was the last time you saw the news lead with reports of the number of kids who died of malaria on a given day? That tells you all you need to know about any form of journalism, even seemingly factual news reporting and some opinion item in a shooting mag doesn't even try to pretend to be factual.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/