Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&B PMII or Swarovski Z6i BT

S&B PMII or Swarovski Z6i BT

I am in the market for a new or possibly even second hand scope, that has ballistic turrets.

I ideally want something with a low to highish mag range, like 3-20 or 3-18.

I ideally want something as light as possible too.

I would like an opinion on these 2 scopes as they seem to fit the bill. Also open to suggestions of other similar scopes that may fit the criteria.

S&B 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT 3-20x50 PM II/LP/MTC/LT

and

Swarovski Z6i G2 3-18x50 P BT
    Swarovski Z6i G2 3-18x50 P BT 2nd Gen Illuminated Rifle Scope

Z6 Rifle scopes SWAROVSKI OPTIK (I am sure the photo on the Swarovski site is incorrect as it does not show the scope with the ballistic turrets???)

The S&B weighs 920g whereas the Swaro weighs only 595g.

I wonder what everyone else's opinions maybe of these scopes???

Cheers

I've owned both s&b and swaro scopes not these exact models but I can say the extra weight in the Schmidt is worth it the are absolutely bombproof !!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

I have owned both of those models,not at the same time,I part ex'd the PMII for the Swaro.........both are top quality but I never got to do the range work that i had planned and only Stalk so the Swaro suited me better for that.......smaller,tidier,lighter.....otherwise same quality of glass etc....If I was going to do range work I would have kept the PMII...

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    I have owned both of those models,not at the same time,I part ex'd the PMII for the Swaro.........both are top quality but I never got to do the range work that i had planned and only Stalk so the Swaro suited me better for that.......smaller,tidier,lighter.....otherwise same quality of glass etc....If I was going to do range work I would have kept the PMII...
    Hi Martin,

Mine would be for almost exclusively hunting IE stalking and foxing.

I have a lightweight rifle and moderator and the lighter the scope the better IMO.

I was wondering if the PMII had some massive advantages that the extra weight deemed worth it?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    I've owned both s&b and swaro scopes not these exact models but I can say the extra weight in the Schmidt is worth it the are absolutely bombproof !!
    I have a S&B 8x56, I fell over carrying my rifle and landed very heavily on the scope onto a hard object!!!

It took some of the paint off, but it did not dent the scope. Checked zero and it had not moved at all whatsoever!!! So I too can vouch for the build quality of the S&B scopes. But as just posted in response to Martin's post, a lightweight option may be better suited? Unless the PMII has other features and benefits that means the extra weight is worth it?

Cheers

Can't comment on the S&B but I have a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT (gen1) it's on my .243 varmint I've shot foxes out to 250 yds and targets to 400 yds. Everyone who looks through it is in awe of its clarity. I've got no intention to change it & when I can afford I'll be getting one for the .308
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Can't comment on the S&B but I have a Z6i 2.5-15 x 56 BT (gen1) it's on my .243 varmint I've shot foxes out to 250 yds and targets to 400 yds. Everyone who looks through it is in awe of its clarity. I've got no intention to change it & when I can afford I'll be getting one for the .308
    Wingy
    Cheers for the feedback Wingy

I have owned both, had a PM2 and it was WAY too fiddly, far too much adjustment for stalking. Would be the perfect choice for a range scope but for hunting its the Z6 hands down all day long IMO. I sold my PM2 after some missed opportunities - I was buggering around with the micro adjustment the parallax allows then the deer where off. All the adjustment is great if you have a know target distance such as at the range, but when you are stalking you have to make the judgment on distance in your head. Z6i has good parallax adjustment just not so fine, perfect for in the field.
    IMO I get much more last minute light from my Zeiss, although I love the quality and feel of my Swaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I have owned both, had a PM2 and it was WAY too fiddly, far too much adjustment for stalking. Would be the perfect choice for a range scope but for hunting its the Z6 hands down all day long IMO. I sold my PM2 after some missed opportunities - I was buggering around with the micro adjustment the parallax allows then the deer where off. All the adjustment is great if you have a know target distance such as at the range, but when you are stalking you have to make the judgment on distance in your head. Z6i has good parallax adjustment just not so fine, perfect for in the field.
    IMO I get much more last minute light from my Zeiss, although I love the quality and feel of my Swaro.
    Hi Axe,

That is exactly the kind of info that I wanted. Cheers mate.

Sounds like the Swaro is the best option for me.

I hadn't even considered the Zeiss option!! What would you say is the nearest equivalent in the Zeiss range that may also be worth considering then?

Cheers

I've got a Gen 1 Z6i 3-18x50 with BR reticule.

Once you've been to the range, it's bl**dy easy to use the blobs and lines on the reticule. Make use of the Swarovski Ballistic Calculator as well -use online or download locally - and use the stickers that come in the box to log all this, then sellotape to your stock.

SWAROVSKI OPTIK - Ballistic Programs 1.27

Coupled with my Swaro EL-R binos it's hard to think what else I'll ever need... I'd have another in a heartbeat, and I'm a picky s*d!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)