Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galloway Stags In The Rut

Galloway Stags In The Rut

Hi All,

Athina Sporting has 8,000 acres stalking in St Johnís Town of Dalry holding a good population of Roe deer on the lower woodland ground and Red deer and Wild Goats on the hill ground. The current Scottish record stag was taken on this ground in 2010.

Due to the late changeover in the lease, we need to take off 6 larger Trophy Red stags and around 10-12 Red spikes and cull stags before the end of the season. Later in the season this will be followed by about 20 hinds and calves in December and January. We will be posting some weekend packages for the Hind and Doe cull shortly.

We also need to take off around 40 wild goats this year,(about 6 Trophy Billies), to get the population under control and keep the local farmers happy.

All stalking is guided Ė our guide is an AW with 20 years of stalking experience, living adjacent to this ground. Excellent B&B is available in the village from £40 per night.
    We are now taking bookings:

Red stags £250 per day (1x1) or £200 per day (2x1) plus £75 for spikers / £250 for stags up to 9 pints and £750 for trophy stags of 10 points upwards.

Wild goats £250 per day plus £100 for females and immature males with horns under 16Ē. Trophy Billies are £250 each, with only three left for this season to be taken from 21st Oct onwards.

Venison remains the property of Athina Sporting but can be purchased at current game dealer rates. Badly shot or lost and wounded deer must be purchased at current game dealer rates.

Email Adam@athinasporting.com for more info and to book. Spaces are limited some dates are already blocked off so check with Adam for availability.

Rgds,
    Kiri

Can I just add that any Roe bucks you see, either on the way up to the hill or on the low ground, can be shot for free when you're out after Reds or Goats.

​Level 2 AW assessing can also be provided at no additional cost.

We extract the stags with a quad and hill trailer, so there isn't any dragging of heavy carcasses either, which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Can I just add that any Roe bucks you see, either on the way up to the hill or on the low ground, can be shot for free when you're out after Reds or Goats.

​Level 2 AW assessing can also be provided at no additional cost.

We extract the stags with a quad and hill trailer, so there isn't any dragging of heavy carcasses either, which is nice!
    It would be even nicer to watch you drag them Adam.

Is this Griff's old ground?

Yep, same ground. Viewed it last year when the rent was circa £7k. Marches with Forrest Estate, some lovely ground.

Griff is still in residence and doing the guiding on the high ground, plus AW witnessing when needed - with Scout in tow. It is a lovely piece of ground, probably nearer 11,000 acres topographically.

Adam.

I think anyone who stalks this estate will have a fantastic time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    I think anyone who stalks this estate will have a fantastic time.
    you'd want to for £250 a day to shoot goats!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    you'd want to for £250 a day to shoot goats!!
    ​Fair point! I don't know what they charge for goats on Forrest, but I've seen some big boys on there. Doubtless Colin could put a good package together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting Solutions View Post
    Yep, same ground. Viewed it last year when the rent was circa £7k. Marches with Forrest Estate, some lovely ground.
    £7k I wish!!! But yes it is indeed a beautiful bit of ground.

​K