Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To stainless or not to stainless

To stainless or not to stainless

Hi,
    I'm thinking of purchasing a a new 243.
    Would you guys recommend going for a stainless steel barrel?
    Does it have many advantages?

Stainless is fine, less to look after, however without care it will rust, less that chromoly of course. Chromoly on the other hand is harder wearing but requires more care to maintain.

Stainless: Virtually no cleaning required, but more viseable.

Wrapping some scrim netting around the barrel, and securing it with Sellotape (yes, really) has given me the best of both worlds: Virtually no cleaning regime; no more shine and a break-up of the outline. Unorthodox? Yes. Effective? Yes.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Stainless is a lot less to maintain, in that you don't have to look after the blueing. I like that I don't have to be in a mad rush to dry and clean the rifle after being out in the rain. They are not generally shiny, but if you want a different finish you can Cerakote (or similar) for not too much money.
    For stalking purposes, the lifespan will be the same.

I have had 2 Tikka rifles in stainless that both developed rust spots on the barrel, one of them was only 3 weeks old when rust started appearing on the barrel, i am meticulous in my cleaning regime, needless to say there won't be a third, i got a full refund from my dealer for both rifles, the last time i was in his shop he showed me a brand new Tikka that he had ordered for a customer guess what rust spots on it, a brand new rifle that has never been in the field, doesn't inspire confidence does it.

Quote Originally Posted by whinfell View Post
    I have had 2 Tikka rifles in stainless that both developed rust spots on the barrel, one of them was only 3 weeks old when rust started appearing on the barrel, i am meticulous in my cleaning regime, needless to say there won't be a third, i got a full refund from my dealer for both rifles, the last time i was in his shop he showed me a brand new Tikka that he had ordered for a customer guess what rust spots on it, a brand new rifle that has never been in the field, doesn't inspire confidence does it.
    All stainless will rust as you describe, especially if handled with a sweaty hand before being put away​, this is why you are suposed to wear cotton gloves to handle antique metal and paper. I have had minor rust spots on my LW 7-08 barrel from this. A light rub with duraglit metal polish easily removes them and a light coat of oil helps protect..

Maybe I have particularly corrosive sweat lol,

Just remember that if a little sweat can corrode the outside of your barrel, imagine what the ammonia from your moderator can do to the inside. Stainless is definately not maintenance free. I still prefer it to blued though.

Stainless steel gun barrels are made from an uncommon types of stainless called Martensitic. It is characterised as being stronger and tougher than other stainless types; but is less resistant to corrosion. This is used to fullfill the barrels primary function which is to expell bullets. Its corrosion resistantance is a secondary function and is not a material of workmanship problem at Tikka.

Most stainless you will encounter will be Austenitic and far better at corrosion resistance. This includes any moderator, so can't be compared to a gun barrel.

All said for a stainless gun barrel to rust there has to be something wrong with the care of it. Even bare mild steel will not rust if it has a coating of oil on it.
    Last edited by gmart122; 23-09-2013 at 07:55.

One of the best things one can do with a new rifle, stainless or not.
    Unpack, take out of the stock and wash with hot soap water, then rinse well, dry, and flush with WD40 and cover with a good gun oil.
    If a synthetic stock then also wash it well, even timber, wipe it with a damp cloth.
    This will remove unwanted corrosive leftovers from the production or handling.
    I have no corrosion problems whatsoever, my rifle safe at home is less than 25yds from a salt water river, my workshop with gun safe is 100yds from the estuary.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    One of the best things one can do with a new rifle, stainless or not.
    Unpack, take out of the stock and wash with hot soap water, then rinse well, dry, and flush with WD40 and cover with a good gun oil.
    If a synthetic stock then also wash it well, even timber, wipe it with a damp cloth.
    This will remove unwanted corrosive leftovers from the production or handling.
    I have no corrosion problems whatsoever, my rifle safe at home is less than 25yds from a salt water river, my workshop with gun safe is 100yds from the estuary.
    edi

Old thread but . . .

Wouldn't a flush with WD40 alone do the trick? I was under the impression it comprises a lubricating fraction thinned with a volatile lighter spirit that evaporates off leaving the more viscous component behind to coat and protect the metalwork.