Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do game dealer want head shots

why do game dealer want head shots

Ive been called to cull some Fallow this weekend but the landowners wants so much per pound for the meat,I called a well known game dealer today to see what they were paying,the call went something like this
    "good morning can you tell me what your paying for Fallow"
    repy
    "were paying 3 per kilo neck or head shot"
    me
    "oh I see what about chest shot"
    "depends on the damage to the saddle"
    me
    "well a good chest heart and lung shot isn't going to damage the saddle"
    "well we will pay 2.75 for clean chest shot and deduct any damage"

now my problem is how can you argue the damage once they have been collected.I don't have a problem with head or neck shots but it seems the dealers are taking the urine with the prices.especially when the ribs are no good them anyway

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    Ive been called to cull some Fallow this weekend but the landowners wants so much per pound for the meat,I called a well known game dealer today to see what they were paying,the call went something like this
    "good morning can you tell me what your paying for Fallow"
    repy
    "were paying 3 per kilo neck or head shot"
    me
    "oh I see what about chest shot"
    "depends on the damage to the saddle"
    me
    "well a good chest heart and lung shot isn't going to damage the saddle"
    "well we will pay 2.75 for clean chest shot and deduct any damage"

now my problem is how can you argue the damage once they have been collected.I don't have a problem with head or neck shots but it seems the dealers are taking the urine with the prices.especially when the ribs are no good them anyway
    We have a deal that if the driver picking up is in any doubt he leaves them in the chill, that way saves any arguing when they arrive at the depot..

so people are financially incentivised by game dealers to take trick shots and have more wounded beats...nice one!

problem is, when money comes into the equation, rules around ethics usually go out the window

Just pull up my comfy chair

mine doesnt , 3 on the hook for red/fallow BUT if you balls up and wollop it through the haunches you gonna get deducted

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    so people are financially incentivised by game dealers to take trick shots and have more wounded beats...nice one!

problem is, when money comes into the equation, rules around ethics usually go out the window
    Spot on, I bet game dealers don't ask for head shots with poachers.

Since when has head and neck shots been classified as trick shots ?

Regards

​Ed

to be honest , for 25pence per kilo ,not pound, but kilo , i wouldnt even think about taking risky shots , dont get me wrong i have and will do but only rarely when EVERYTHING is good for it , 98% chest shots ,is he going to re-imberse you for a deer running of with its jaw hanging off , is he feck , and if moans about chest shot deer ,tell him to shove it , sooner or later they will have to take them , dont feel presured into it , there you go ,rant over ,happy hunting arron.

It's a buyers market I'm afraid and every game dealer has the right to pay more for a head shot animal. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to take head shots though if you are not comfortable with it! The onus is on the stalker to ensure that deer are culled humanely. What the game dealer pays should not influence shot placement. If it does, then finger of blame should point at the stalker and not the game dealer!
    I get 3/kg and have never had any deductions for chest shot animals. I also don't get any more for a head or neck shot animal.
    MS

As MS says price should not influence shot placement,also like him I don't get any more for head shot beasts nor deductions for clean chest shots,however anything else will result in a deduction, more and more dealers are classing any shot that touches the spine a saddle shot, hit the spine say in the shoulder area and they will class it as saddled, wrong in my opinion but the ball is in their court I am afraid.