Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slugs on Boar

Slugs on Boar

My FAC just dropped through the door with a condition allowing my to use slugs for taking wild boar.

I would like to know about members experience's with shooting boar with them like shot placement, distance ect but also what kind of slugs and scope you have used?

The large black ones are far better than the mottled brown ones

hope this helps Kieran

Quote Originally Posted by 1066kieran View Post
    The large black ones are far better than the mottled brown ones

hope this helps Kieran
    +1also with out shells lol

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    +1also with out shells lol
    The ones with shells are called snails aren't they

Quote Originally Posted by rodderz54 View Post
    My FAC just dropped through the door with a condition allowing my to use slugs for taking wild boar.

I would like to know about members experience's with shooting boar with them like shot placement, distance ect but also what kind of slugs and scope you have used?
    Ha ha - seriously now...

1. Don't expect to take any long shots - 50m as an average,

2. Aim in the same part of the body you would with a rifle - i.e. heart and lungs, but remember the ribcage of wild boar is thicker (covered in layer of fat) and the spine is lower so the area is smaller relatively speaking than a deer,

3. Open sights or small low powered 'scope - say 1-4x max!

Good luck!

This is a little bit too close though...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Basher View Post
    This is a little bit too close though...

​He obviously wasnt watching where he should have been or he would have seen it coming!!

That video is famous in France, That men wan the lotterie en spend is time hunting Boar !

For the slug, I agree with Donkey Basher, use it like a normal bullet, but at short distance.

For the brand I allway use "Brenneke"

Take that as a no!

Thanks donkey basher!

You'll find the choice of solid slugs is pretty limited in the UK - most RFD only seem to stock Remington Sluggers which only really work in a rifled shotgun barrel.

I'm currently using Buffalo 70mm 28gr brenneke style slugs from Just Cartridges at around 21 per 25 - they group into 1-1.5" at 50m through my Kettner combination gun and my Berreta Urika semi-auto for boar hunts in places where rifles aren't allowed. Scope is either an Aimpoint Hunter or an old 1.25-4x24 Leupold DG scope on an adapted Weaver rail. I happily shoot out to 100m with them without much adjustment for drop - 400+gns of lead travelling at 1,500fps seems to drop most stuff in its tracks.

We're an RFD so Just Cartridges will deliver the slugs direct to the door, but I don't know if that's the same for non-RFD customs in the same way the deliver shotgun cartridges.

Adam.