Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake test

Brake test

Decided the 300WM wan't noisy enough and needed something aggressive to give it a better look

Muzzle brake it is!!

Couldn't find what I was after, without paying more than the rifle..oh, and when I enquired with a very well known custom rifle builder apparently you need to take the barrel off to screw cut it...as the thread I had on it wasn't right so it needed a new.....so I may as well rebarrel it while I am at it!!! Seriously!!?? some gunsmiths need an enema!!!

Anyway, found two chaps, one I know (on here, you know who you are) and one I didnt (found him on eBay and commissioned him! best 25 I have spent in a while)
    both came up with brakes to order for less than the price of a kidney

Two styles,
    One steel (to be blued when I get around to it!), similar profile to the barrel, fairly discreet
    One anodised aluminium, more Howitzer in nature, big chunky vents and pressure surfaces

They both arrived the other day and after a bit of playing to clock them to horizontal they look the part

Now that I have managed to repair the only 1" mounts Tikka mounts and stick on a temporary 8x50 scope I plan to rezero and do a back to back test on Sunday.
    No brake, Brake no.1, Brake no.2
    Hopefully it will show a difference in perceived recoil, perceived noise and maybe even a POI shift...don't know!

Brake no.1:

Brake no.2:

roll on Sunday

Hi,

I just had a brake on my 0.300 weatherby. (Schultz & Larsen brake)
    Should have done yers ago. At hunting i am not using the brake.
    On target shooting only.....i must admit that the brake helps to keep the concentration.

TheDanishHunter

SD Regular
    ....glad to hear this wasn't a further reference to the Audi hedge layer Ed......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Like the look of brake No2, Grrrrrr

Oh choices,choices..............I like 1,then 2,then 1 again.
    I'm not indecisive,I'm just not sure

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Decided the 300WM wan't noisy enough and needed something aggressive to give it a better look

Muzzle brake it is!!

Couldn't find what I was after, without paying more than the rifle..oh, and when I enquired with a very well known custom rifle builder apparently you need to take the barrel off to screw cut it...as the thread I had on it wasn't right so it needed a new.....so I may as well rebarrel it while I am at it!!! Seriously!!?? some gunsmiths need an enema!!!

Anyway, found two chaps, one I know (on here, you know who you are) and one I didnt (found him on eBay and commissioned him! best 25 I have spent in a while)
    both came up with brakes to order for less than the price of a kidney

Two styles,
    One steel (to be blued when I get around to it!), similar profile to the barrel, fairly discreet
    One anodised aluminium, more Howitzer in nature, big chunky vents and pressure surfaces

They both arrived the other day and after a bit of playing to clock them to horizontal they look the part

Now that I have managed to repair the only 1" mounts Tikka mounts and stick on a temporary 8x50 scope I plan to rezero and do a back to back test on Sunday.
    No brake, Brake no.1, Brake no.2
    Hopefully it will show a difference in perceived recoil, perceived noise and maybe even a POI shift...don't know!

Brake no.1:

Brake no.2:

roll on Sunday
    You got any paint filled rounds then? Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You got any paint filled rounds then? Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down.
    Hey Man, what's with all the negative waves man?
    Always with the negative waves....

actually I was thinking of doing this:

http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

"The simplest and least expensive option is to color-code your bullets to distinguish each rung in the ladder. Using a Sharpie or other permanent marker, mark each BULLET ahead of the ogive (see photo). The marker ink transfers to the target paper when the bullet passes through, leaving a colored ring around the hole"

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Why does something aggressive look better?
    However, if that is what you think, why not add a bayonet?
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Same with some tyre / welly / boot descriptions,....AGRESSIVE tread pattern ?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post

it just does!
    a 300WM with a skinny 1/2"UNF thread cut and tiny little thread protector looks positively emasculated!

​not any more!