Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealey SEGS8 Electronic Keypad Gun Cabinet

Sealey SEGS8 Electronic Keypad Gun Cabinet

Does anyone perchance have a Sealey SEGS8 Electronic Keypad gun cabinet and is willing to share a view?

I need to upgrade my 5-gun shotgun cabinet to better fit rifles with scopes and find the principle of an electronic keypad quite appealing, along with the price:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilde...iredresults=16

Although the internal ammo safe requiring a key somewhat defeats the object, it still at least saves a key for main entry.

It's never been quite clear to me what advantage these electronic combination safes with a key override offer over a simple key-opened safe. You still have the question of where to keep the key, which AFAIK you do need in case of battery failure.

I understand the only person who should legally know where the keys are is the licence holder. A little difficult in a house with eagle eyed kids. I caught my lad telling another from across the road that he knew where I kept my keys A stiff talking to and lesson learned, no matter how careful you are, it's easier to hide a digital combination than physical keys (the kids still don't know either the house alarm or sky codes).

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    I understand the only person who should legally know where the keys are is the licence holder. A little difficult in a house with eagle eyed kids. I caught my lad telling another from across the road that he knew where I kept my keys A stiff talking to and lesson learned, no matter how careful you are, it's easier to hide a digital combination than physical keys (the kids still don't know either the house alarm or sky codes).
    That's what I mean, though: there are AFAIK still keys, unlike with a mechanical code lock such as a Manifoil.

Indeed, but at least only for the inner ammunition locker rather than the main entry.

for the inner ammunition locker rather than the main entry.
    For that, certainly: but also is it not written
    Features electronic keypad lock or can be opened manually with the two keys provided?

Indeed, I'd be glad of override keys in case the electronic entry ran out of battery.

Hiding the hardly if ever needed override keys would be much easier than main keys used to open the cabinet every time.

Hiding the hardly if ever needed override keys would be much easier than main keys used to open the cabinet every time.
    Oh all right, I suppose so.

lol, it remains an interesting debate and I guess just comes down to personal preference. I remain concerned however at the lower than 'average' price and would be most grateful to hear from anyone who has one. Just looking at the local dealers of Sealey, there is a place very close. Although I can't see very likely that a building trade supplier would have a gun cabinet in stock, it's surely at least worth a visit.

I'm no lock-expert, but I remain of the view that electronic keypad locks that need a key as back-up are not first-rate items.

I'd go so far as to say that my preference, if access needs to be code dependent (and I think that under the circs that seems a good idea) would be a little non-electronic code-only keysafe bolted to something solid in a concealed place away from the cabinet, and containing the key/s to the cabinet.
    Last edited by Dalua; 13-09-2013 at 22:22.