Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 H&H Mag condition on FAC?

.375 H&H Mag condition on FAC?

Hi

I have just had my FAC returned having asked for a .375 H&H (going to Africa next year...) the conditions! Does any one have advise or experience in the following; can only use fmj to zero on ranges. It does not allow for the purchase of expanding ammo/bullets.
    ​Can understand no can use on game in this country but I hand load and explained this to feo in his visit. Do I arrive in Africa and re zero with ammo available? I will be shooting/hunting with local hunters not a pH again explained to feo and a letter confirming this from government of that country (friends in high places!!)

Is this normal or just an over site in producing cert?

Many thanks

I'm not into ballistics or bullets but I have a 9.3X74R double rifle. That's not a lot smaller than the .375 and I have it open for boar and deer in this country. Expanding ammo etc.

Did you ask for it to be conditioned for deer?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Worth checking the ACPO guidance, I seem to remember that they are mentioned as being suitable for large deer where good reason has already been established (eg for big game abroad)
    I could be wrong!!

Mine has similar conditions, I can buy expanding ammo but may only zero in this country with solids. Not on my ticket for use in this country as I already have a .300 Win Mag.

Mark

You'll only get expanding if you have somewhere to use it on deer or boar in the UK and you can provide good reason for its use . If if it's for overseas use only the law does not allow you to purchase or possess it. Amuinnsuidhe i'm surprised they have allowed your possession.

​Frank

I had similar conditions initially, but I questioned it and quoted the home office guidelines as mentioned above about "once suitable reason to possess has been established, this calibre may be suitable for use on UK deer species...."
    I had to show that I had good safe land in the uk for it, the flat lands of east Anglia did not suffice, but regular stalking in Scotland and Wales did. It is now open for AOLQ.
    if you can't do this, then you will be limited to purchasing expanding ammo out there and zeroing on arrival.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Ask for it to be used on deer in this country as well, then you can use it and practice to your hearts content before you go !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.308 View Post
    Hi

I have just had my FAC returned having asked for a .375 H&H (going to Africa next year...) the conditions! Does any one have advise or experience in the following; can only use fmj to zero on ranges. It does not allow for the purchase of expanding ammo/bullets.
    ​Can understand no can use on game in this country but I hand load and explained this to feo in his visit. Do I arrive in Africa and re zero with ammo available? I will be shooting/hunting with local hunters not a pH again explained to feo and a letter confirming this from government of that country (friends in high places!!)

Is this normal or just an over site in producing cert?

Many thanks
    Its pretty typical. At least you can be sure that your friends in Africa should have no problem obtaining suitable .375 ammunition for you to use there and in the meantime you can load and practice here with FMJ. Its not impossible to obtain an expanding ammo condition here - but as others have said you have to provide a good "UK" reason and it will help if you already have an open certificate.

I had no problem in getting my 444 conditioned for deer and aolq with expanding ammo for use in the uk, local RFD was gobsmacked when he saw my ticket.
    Used it on a roe today, little too much damage for my liking though, as in an exit of 5.5" and no lungs or heart left at all, so I think I'll use the 243 next time

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

I have a similar condition on my ticket for the 416 Weatherby. I use GS Custom FN (flat nose) bullets which are not designed to expand so there is no restriction on their possession, just as any other solid. They appear to produce as much of a wound channel as expanding bullets and are very effective on Cape Buff and Elephant and would probably be fine on smaller animals also. Not cheap, though.
    Peter