Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: glenogle, not stalking but on the grouse, and being back home.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

glenogle, not stalking but on the grouse, and being back home.

Just been up with the boss for 3 days and it was fliping cracking,

got there on thursday and went out for a walk on the hill and just missed out on being evening meal for the midges so that was ok,the scenery was just stunning and makes me very homesick,the rain was just about finished laying the foundations for a wet night to come but that was fine as we headed back to the lodge.

I did ask if there was ever any deer on the estate and was told there are no deer on the estate now and its being run as a grouse/partridge shoot,and all the deer had been eradicated from the estate.(circa 19.000 acres)

so back to the shooting lodge for the boss and then back to the hotel at glenesk and what a nice hotel, the food was oh so good as was the company, and with a bed that big i got lost in it

Well i got up at about 7 ready for those bacon eggs black pudding tattie scones and some baked beans, aw went down whaoot tuchin the sides, what a hearty breakfast, right, back up stairs and one with the tweeds boots and gaiters (jungle bug spray to hand,) flat cap and my gloves.

I then loaded up the range rover with everything ready for the day on the hill in those old wet buts, and just as i was about to jump in there was a sight for sore eyes.there walking along the road in front of the hotel was a man in his 60's/70's with a beret and hackle (red and white) yellow reflective top walking sticks and boot and a pair of tweed trousers that would rip the skin off your legs, I thought it was the local village nutter on his way to shout at the traffic that drove through the village to fast etc, but I was informed this guy walks the 15 miles to the main A90 and back every morning to raise funds for H4H, so good on him and lang may yer lum reich, (I was told his name but it slips my mind sat here trying to recall the whole thing after the drive back today ?)

so on to the hill, well the shooting lodge to pick up the boss, spot on time,safety briefing done guns assembled from the flat case into the slips, carts in the bags and ready to go, the first drive was about 30 mins into the estate and up at some godforsaken height, parked the vehicles up and out we got,

Weather report, overcast light winds and no midges

Q, where's the buts neebs.(translation, excuse me neighbour where are the gun buts ? )
    A, what peg are you sir
    A, 4 thank you ?
    A, about another 300 yards up there,
    R, really
    A, yes sir.

Well i'll be (can't say that) anyway about 10 mins later im in number 4 but. guns live as soon as you're in yehaa.

1st drive...............shoot don't they come at you fast and low (burger they are fantastic at contour flying........makes them harder to hit too) not bad numbers and with about 9 brace down 3 pricked not bad for the first drive,

2nd drive was about 3 miles further into the heather festooned mountains, and a wee bit higher still.range rover provided well for most of that as before. so same again park up and then climb some more, not doing to bad, 2 up so now in but 6.........HIGH UP THE HILL... ****me all that was missing wiz the snow. very hard ta see these ones but again not a bad drive, 5 brace with only one pricked bird.(ps: at this time we had elevensies )

3rd drive, Glad we had the range rover i was starting ta blow a bit now,not to far to this one but still enough to say that we needed transport, 2 up now in but 8. got dropped of about 20 yards from it and we where just about all on a level playing field, been told these come at you very high so good high birds,

you're having a laugh.............how high they looked like migies on steroids from where i was stood, anyway 4 brace form 10 shots taken so it was a great result for us and the boys in the lower numbered buts had some very good numbers so overall a good drive.

time for lunch and a chat with the lads and lassies doing all the beating etc,so after that i was now topped up, and with a can of irn brew in my pocket and a mars bar for later im happy as larry (by the way who is larry ? )

4th drive, feeling full and refreshed and rested...........bring them on,...............back in the range rover...but wait for it......what the **** is this... 2 up again im in but 1, holy mother of god

Q,is that really where i have to get too,
    A, yes sir

I need help, don't worry sir you can have a run up on the argocat when it gets here, boy was i happy with that, even so when i got there i still had to climb some 100 yards up a ski jump slop, as said before all that was missing again was the snow.but look on the bright side still no migies, cracking drive and a good % of hits to shots taken,

shots taken 32, birds 23......., head keeper said he was not happy with the bird numbers on this drive but boy was there some birds there to take, well happy.

5th and final drive,

only about 1 mile from the one we just had, and a new drive for this season, got there at the front of the que and was happy to be in but 3 as it was not to far to walk, we are now right on top of an escarpment and with some of the best views i have seen in many a year i was happy to be able to see it and take it all in, the colours of the hills in that overcast light was breathtaking, the sight of all that i call home was just great, oops getting drawn in there,

the drive came in hard and fast, the birds were at their best this time and we lost out a wee bit.

17 shots fired and just 11 birds hit, 9 down and 2 pricked, off went the whistle and the days shooting was at an end, now let the drinks flow and a big thank you to all the beaters, pickers up, the dogs and the loaders, the drivers of all the land rovers (this lot kept landrover in work for a few years on their own ), so the drinks and the snacks all went down well, and as the night was approaching the sun cracked through a wee hole in the clouds to say well done all.

I took the time at this point to think of my wee girl back home who said I could not miss the chance of this trip because she is ill so go Daddy and have a great time......... with those thoughts in my mind i lifted my glass and drank a wee dram to Josie and thanked god she is still here,

So to sum it all up,

a big thanks to all that put on a fantastic day at glenogle estate, a big thank you to my boss who made it all possible, but the biggest thanks goes to my wee girl Josie who said i could go and have a great time.

I hope you all enjoyed the read sadly i have not a single photo to show for this great day as my HTC (hard to c it phone) had this come up when i tried to use the camera. and i had no idea how to sort it out.
    Unable to save to SD card due to insufficient file permissions !

I have the memories the sore lungs the sore feet and a couple of tired legs to show for it, and to me.

thats all that matters.

awe the best bob.

It was so nice to be back home............ Scotland...............priceless.............Josie ...............worth more than the world to me.

ps: If any the lads on here where there yeaterday...........thank you.
    Last edited by bobjs; 14-09-2013 at 21:15.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thanks for a wonderful read ! Glad it's all come right for you.

I enjoyed reading that Bob, sounds like you had a great time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thorneyglatt View Post
    Thanks for a wonderful read ! Glad it's all come right for you.
    thank you Sir,we are getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I enjoyed reading that Bob, sounds like you had a great time.
    Hi Big man, twas a great day, met some very nice people and if your boss comes back happy then that to me says a lot.

hope your doing well and shooting straight,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Take it you mean 'GLENOGIL'... did you meet Hamish driving the Argo??

Hi Bob, I was just round the corner from you last week so as to speak,its good to see grouse in decent numbers
    again in the Angus glens.

As for the chap that walks the road, he never seems to miss a day rain or shine, more power to him.

Aye Glenogil, I think Philip Herd said they shot about 2,000 deer off there when he was headkeeper, no more ticks to pass Louping Ill to the grouse...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    Take it you mean 'GLENOGIL'... did you meet Hamish driving the Argo??
    yes Hamish is a top man, and now im on the pc its better to see what im typing 'glenogil' is correct sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Hi Bob, I was just round the corner from you last week so as to speak,its good to see grouse in decent numbers
    again in the Angus glens.

As for the chap that walks the road, he never seems to miss a day rain or shine, more power to him.

they are in great numbers and doing rather well, what i failed to ask was this, there are a lot of small traps in top of poles that are laid across small gullies, i presume these are for stoats and weasels etc or am i way out,

as for that chap walking long may he continue.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Aye Glenogil, I think Philip Herd said they shot about 2,000 deer off there when he was headkeeper, no more ticks to pass Louping Ill to the grouse...
    i was told a similar number when i asked the same question, and will they ever return ??

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    yes Hamish is a top man, and now im on the pc its better to see what im typing 'glenogil' is correct sir.

they are in great numbers and doing rather well, what i failed to ask was this, there are a lot of small traps in top of poles that are laid across small gullies, i presume these are for stoats and weasels etc or am i way out,

as for that chap walking long may he continue.

bob

i was told a similar number when i asked the same question, and will they ever return ??

bob.
    The traps are indeed intended for stoats. NO DEER on 19000 acres ---- yet another example of total eradication rather than management --- SAD state of affairs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    The traps are indeed intended for stoats. NO DEER on 19000 acres ---- yet another example of total eradication rather than management --- SAD state of affairs.

there was reasons for the removal but i am not the one to post the reasons,as i may make an error in saying something i have no real deatils off.

bob.