Roe buck this morning in Northumberland seven pointer

John33

Evening guys and gals I am fairly new to stalking about 3 years however have learnt a lot from some good friend and the experience I was out early this morning and got a beautiful roe buck 7 pointer been trying to get him for about 2 years eventually this morning at 6 am walked down the farm spotted a deer in the field the other side of the reveen so got tucked in the hedge roe to see what it was it was a doe then spotted to kids behind looked like 2 does then on the other corner 2 more doe well peed off then spotted a doe kid and a buck the one I have been chasing for 2 years plus then in the far corner another doe with 2 kids now this is all in one field the nearest was about 250 yards the buck was in the far right corner at about 600 yards too far for me so waited and watched for another buck anyway the next farm has a pheasant pen in the next field and must have been feeding up as spooked all the deer 11 in total on a 20 acre stubble but only one buck anyway the buck ran and I lost sight and waited I was on the opposite side of the raveen anyway he appeared right in the middle of the field and stopped at aprox 150 yards looking straight at me neck shot and dropped him stone dead left it 10 mins in case I missed a buck in nothing heart was pounding the best buck of my life been trying to get him for 2 years however his gens have been well passed on he was the dominant buck on the farm and has dune his time just one question when I grabbed his his antler sorry forgot to mention he was a seven pointer are they rare? It snapped of why is that normal or not for the antlers to snap off from the bottom I lost one on the way back to the farm and went back and found it as it was the best one i have had? I will post some photos tomorrow.
​john

Last edited:
New to stalking, 250-300 yard neck shot ????? Reckless shooting if you ask me but looking at the time of the post just in from the pub! Nobody should be trying to neck shoot deer at these distances

Last edited:
New to stalking, 250-300 yard neck shot ????? Reckless shooting if you ask me but looking at the time of the post just in from the pub! Nobody should be trying to neck shoot deer at these distances
Firstly well done on getting your buck after waiting 2 weeks or more but neck or head shot for me are a no no unless very close in seen to many deer where head and neck shot have gone wrong

If you didn't know the exact range, how the hell did you know the bullet placement/drop!! a 50 yards window in judgment is reckless and also too far for neck shooting deer imo, but some others will have there own opinions on neck shooting! I do neck shoot but must have the correct conditions, but not at those ranges.
atb blue.

Firstly well done on getting your buck after waiting 2 weeks or more but neck or head shot for me are a no no unless very close in seen to many deer where head and neck shot have gone wrong

2 years not 2 weeks.

So when will you be neck shooting them at 600 metres? fairly soon...:cuckoo:

Hi John welcome to the site 2years after the buck well done but neck shooting at that distance is unacceptable the reason the antler came off is the buck was probably getting ready to cast them but someone may tell you different

Hi everybody thanks for your replies I have been shooting with riffles for 15 years on foxes rabbits ect shooting with shotguns as long as I can remember this is not my first deer far from it I never said that I have been serious stalking now for 3 years and have been out every weekend since never shot a seven pointer thought I would share a story with other stalkers not get criticised that's why I couldn't be bothered with these websites if you guys that left negative comments are not confident enough to take a neck shoot with a safe back drop at any distance I think you need more experence yourselfs if a deer is standing looking at you straight ahead and have a safe backdrop if aim at the top of the neck you will kill on that shot if your scope if set I have mine set at 125 yards anyway I was not boasting about anything I done just wanted to share a fantastic experience with fellow stalkers and of coarse if the deer was standing side ways I would go for a heart and lung and yea did have a few jars last night was a bit excited it was about 150 yards not 250 got a bit carried away anyway don't worry won't post again

Last edited:
"are not confident enough to take a neck shoot with a safe back drop at any distance I think you need more experence yourselfs"

Hi John,
I do take neck shots, but experience tells me when too and when not too, to take them at any distance is still reckless imo.
atb blue

Sorry you feel that way but coming on here bragging about neck shots at 250yrs plus we can do with out people reading things like this .there are to many people ready to get shooting stopped think be you write is my advice to you .

Sorry you feel that way but coming on here bragging about neck shots at 250yrs plus we can do with out people reading things like this .there are to many people ready to get shooting stopped think be you write is my advice to you .

Very Valid point. +1

Who was bragging mate as I said I was sharing a experence did over estimate the distance a bit as I said had a few jars and got a bit excited didn't know about these websites that you get sarcastic comints for posting a experence however I understand a lot of people go there full life stalking with less than I have shot in 3 years I have been out at least 4 times a month for 3 years stalking however its only been 3 years and I know a lot of people on these sites have been shooting for years my mistake as you said think before you post to be honest couldn't be bothered with the hastle

It's your loss as theirs some good people on here who give good advice etc

It would have been interesting. If you had been on a mentor stalk for level 2 ?????? To see what the AW said or thought about shots like that
DJC

As has been said many times on here, shoot within your limits.
If John33 felt it to be a good shot and within his limits who are we to criticise him. I personally would think nothing of head shooting a deer at 100yds providing I felt all the conditions were right and have done so on many occasions. I know of quite a few other people who go out even further.
John33 was not bragging about his shot, merely relating the distance, as do many other tales.
My question would be, why so many deer and just 1x buck?

Last edited:
well done John, ignore the arm chair shooters, you know what you can do with a rifle, what the hell has dsc 2 got to do with it.
what you was supposed to do was pump house it, then follow the blood trail with your trusty German hound, dispatch it with your humane dispatch pistol , don your latex gloves, get out your newley sterilised, ultra sharp knife, carry out a full anatomical autopsy, drive at break neck speed to get to your newly sterilised chiller , fill out your record book, inspect your self for ticks arrange a doctors appointment as you think that freckle is a tick. And then have a non alcoholic drink

Last edited by a moderator:
Back