1951 Browning 20 gauge and 1930 AH Fox 16 gauge Dove Shoot !

6pt-sika

Well went out today at about 1:30 PM for a dove shoot on the fellows place that we've been DCP deer hunting . Took a circa 1951 Browning Superposed 20 gauge and a AH Fox A Grade 16 gauge both choked IC/M .I shot most of the dove with that 16 Fox . I had a handfull or so of handloaded 8's one ounce loads that I had concocted for my Parker GH 16 damascus and they did nicely on the dove . When I ran out of them I went to an old box of Remington factory 1 1/8 ounce of #5's . Figured I could finish out and make myself some more empty hulls .
But it didn't quite work out that way !
I was hitting the birds with the 5's but they were knocking feathers off and the birds kept going . So I switched over to the little Browning and got the last 6 birds with 9 or 10 shots .

Sounds like a great day out. I love my 16 gauge. Its a francotte side lock ejector, light to carry and so quick to shoot my favourite for partridges.

Sounds like a cracking day! Love 16 bores-I have a webley+Scott 700 that will be buried with me!

I had over the last ten years grown into an advocate of Short 10's , 16's and 28's ! But after shooting that little Superposed I am kinda liking the 20 gauge again .

Back