Tikka T3 1-8 twist or 1-12 twist

Many thanks 'private fraser' for the link to measure, I will try it. Mine is not printed on the barrel as you suggest, Triffid. The barrel is marked thus :- CAL 223 REM. MADE IN FINLAND. insignia of left facing 'lion' then 3/4" gap, BNP , what looks like crossed hammers with digits 0, 1, 7 left to right then BNP. On the receiver it's marked TIKKA T3 433519 with the small lion figure again. There is no 12 or 8 after the .223 REM. Is my one an odd or have they changed the markings ? Hope I am not s*dd*ng up the thread.
Regards,
Gallmans

1 in 8 all the way you can still shoot 55s up to 80s for range work.if you want to shoot lighter then a 204 would be a better tool.just my opinion
atb mike

With my Tikka 1:8, I couldn't find a 55gr bullet which would group less than 2" @ 100yards. Several bullets, powders & seating depths, but gave up in the end. I am assuming over stabilised if that's possible.

I used 69gr Sierra, sometimes the 80gr.

I made a fue calls today and they are out there, but order only, think I will keep my eyes open for a 24" 1 in 8. Second hand,

I am of the understanding that when the T3 model was launched, the 1:8 twist was standard in 223 and the 24" barrel was standard across the range. Therefore there are a number of 24" 1:8 barrels out there. Now both are special order.

Have measured twist as per link, thanks 'private fraser', and it turns out it's 1:12, barrel definitely not marked with rate, perhaps mine's an early one and they didn't bother then. Would explain why it shoots 55's ok.
atb
gallmans

My T3 didn't have twist rate stamped on barrel either and yes it turned out to be an earlier one.
There is an email address to check when your rifle left the dealer. Let me know if you want it and I will check back.
Send me pm if you do.

With my Tikka 1:8, I couldn't find a 55gr bullet which would group less than 2" @ 100yards. Several bullets, powders & seating depths, but gave up in the end. I am assuming over stabilised if that's possible.

I used 69gr Sierra, sometimes the 80gr.

I've now heard of a few T3 1:8" barrels that won't shoot 55gn bullets and lighter. I wonder why some will and others won't? Maybe some are loaded slower to prevent over stabilisation?
I have a 20" 1:12" barrel which shoots 60gn Vmax bullets well, but my bullets of choice are the 40gn BT and 53gn Vmax. I'm interested in the 1:8" for some long range target shooting, but would be very disappointed if I couldn't shoot varmint weight bullets at decent velocities.

Last edited:
Back