Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first few shots through the vartarg

first few shots through the vartarg

After a long wait for my latest order to clear customs I finally received a load of bullets and some nice nosler 221 fireball brass. I had picked up the Vartarg riflefrom Steve Kershaw a few weeks ago and had been itching to have a go with it. The weather wasn't looking promising but I spent last night loading few rounds so that I could get it sighted in and broken in as well as a little load development. The weather this morning was atrocious, blowing a gale and pissing down but later on the rain stopped, I couldn't wait any longer. With the threat of more rain and a 30-40Mph crosswind I ditched the chronograph and shot from a picnic table resting on a rolled up rug. It wasn't as steady as a proper bag but I managed to put a few holes in some paper, 4 shots to roughly zero and then 5, 3 shot groups of increasing charge. (see pic below) To say I am pleased is an understatement, if it will do this in these conditions then I can't wait to see what it will do on a calm day with a good rest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan 132580000.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	725.8 KB 
ID:	32416

​Largest was 0.6MOA smallest 0.4....

Nice work. What was the powder that you were using?~Muir

Looks very promising for the first few shots from a new gun

Neil.

Come on tom lets have a pic of the new Rig ?
    Also what powder and heads you using ?
    ​regards pete

Its VVn130 Muir, 40 grain Accutips, which are I believe hornady Vmaxes, their vital statistics are identical and I have heard that Remington use other suppliers for their bullets. Lightest load was 17.5gn heaviest a very compressed 19gn, I think now that the cases are fire formed I ought to be able to fit 19gn in a little easier...

Tom

Excellent results. Can you post a photo of a loaded Vartag round alongside a loaded 7mm-08 round so we can get an appreciation of how small the Vartag is?

Thanks

​JCS

Name:	IMAG0148.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	32418

​Here's a pic, not one for the purists with the stainless rings, but this is a working gun....

Thanks for that. (Another powder we have a very hard time finding here) Remington does contract bullets, presumably from Hornady. I shoot 33 grain VM made for Remington. Are you going to chronograph the loads on the next outing??~Muir

PS: How well does it feed?? My 17 Mach IV was a crankly bugger but that was from a double stack magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Tom

Excellent results. Can you post a photo of a loaded Vartag round alongside a loaded 7mm-08 round so we can get an appreciation of how small the Vartag is?

Thanks

​JCS

Name:	IMAG0168.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	32419

Already took that one..Here you go John.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Thanks for that. (Another powder we have a very hard time finding here) Remington does contract bullets, presumably from Hornady. I shoot 33 grain VM made for Remington. Are you going to chronograph the loads on the next outing??~Muir

PS: How well does it feed?? My 17 Mach IV was a crankly bugger but that was from a double stack magazine.
    It feeds ok if you cycle the bolt reasonably quickly, its a bit finicky to be honest though, it does not eject very well though, it will eject a loaded round quite nicely but the empty case is so short that after it clears the chamber it is able to achieve sufficient angle between the bolt face and the inside of the action to come off the claw just before it reached the ejection port. If you know of any quick fixes for this problem I'm all ears...