Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McNab, Anyone Done It?

McNab, Anyone Done It?

I went for a cast last Thursday morning just for an hour or two on a beat I have access to on the Whiteadder, as we had had the first decent rise in water for weeks. I landed and returned a salmon of about 6lbs. As the water had dropped quickly and I had fished the 2 or 3 pools that were worth a cast I packed up to head home and wonderd what to do for the rest of the day. The thought of going stalking for Sika that evening was appealing and then I thought of the possibility of catching a salmon and shooting a stag in the same day was looking good. I then thought of a McNab and started to go through names in my head of the keepers I knew who would let me have a shot at a brace of grouse to make that possible. Anyway, as its officially a red stag, I wondered if it would be fair to claim a McNab if I did it with a Sika and because of that managed to talk myself out of even trying it!

I had also left the camera in the car so didn't have any photo of the salmon as proof anyway...

Just wonderd if any other members had done it and in what order they completed the McNab, as in my opinion getting the salmon at the started the day is probably the hardest of the 3 generally speaking to secure, but if done the other two are worth a try.

I don`t think we have to many Salmon or Grouse in my area so can we catch a Mackrel, shoot a Roe and a couple of Pigeons and call it something else??
    It would be interesting to hear of anyone on here who`s done it or witnessed a McNab.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

From what I hear most McNabs have come about following the catching of a salmon, for example. A fish is caught early in the day so a gillie will suggest having a go for the grouse and a stag but the trio were not really the plan from the offset, but I may be wrong. Obviously the time of year may be relevant, as September/October normally sees a back end run of fish given water on highland rivers, the grouse are in and the stags are just coming into the rut.

As Basil says though, a highland estate is offering a good chance, folk in the south unless on holiday are going to struggle for the original so an alternative may be needed!!!!!

Mind, if you did it that would be a fair old taxidermy bill to preserve the memory!!!

I've read the book, but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    From what I hear most McNabs have come about following the catching of a salmon, for example. A fish is caught early in the day so a gillie will suggest having a go for the grouse and a stag but the trio were not really the plan from the offset, but I may be wrong. Obviously the time of year may be relevant, as September/October normally sees a back end run of fish given water on highland rivers, the grouse are in and the stags are just coming into the rut.

As Basil says though, a highland estate is offering a good chance, folk in the south unless on holiday are going to struggle for the original so an alternative may be needed!!!!!

Mind, if you did it that would be a fair old taxidermy bill to preserve the memory!!!
    Nah, we would just have a b-b-q.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I like the idea of it as a challenge but I think there is a difference between someone knowing the river, hill, moor well themselves and having a go and a sporting agent offering a McNabb for a price and the ghillie/keeper doing all the leg-work.

Far better to make memories and have stories to tell by spending the time amongst nature and witnessing rare sights in wildlife in my opinion!

when we had more grouse we used to do what is called the McNab quite regularly. There is no mention of grouse in the book, I believe that the correct name for a Salmon, a stag and a brace of grouse between dawn and dusk of the one day is a "Royal Bag". My old boss did the double royal bag back in the 50's when he got two salmon, two stags and several brace of grouse in the day.

To be honest, I think you've either got to be very lucky to have the chance of all three. People will have the fishing or the shooting or the stalking to hand, possibly even two out of three, but unless you own a big Scottish estate, or can throw loads of money at it, the reality of it is beyond most of us.

Done the salmon and stag but nay the grouse.Always think of trying a salmon,stag/buck and a brace of pheasants as a cheaper version but never get roon to it.Maybe this year.

We have a few grouse in Devon but we can't shoot them so that isn't an option, so i suppose a brace of pheasants would substitute.
    I agree catching the Salmon would be the most difficult.
    I did a fish equivalent, Salmon, Brown Trout and Sea Trout in that order on the river Teign once.
    Cheers
    ​Richard