Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you guys do in this situation?

What would you guys do in this situation?

Okay so I have been told I can shoot 2 or 3 muntjac off my normal shooting permission for the freezer. There are plenty about on the land in varying places so it 'should' not be too difficult.

Now as you know I am still a novice so need experience of stalking on the ground so to speak and this will give me the opportunity on land I know well.

In this situation would you go out and shoot the 1st deer that presented a shot, stalk the ground for a while assessing the numbers before taking a deer or be more selective and see if there was a good head wandering about? Bearing in mind this is not about management and will make no impact on the numbers, it's just the farmer saying yes I can shoot some for my own consumption/recreation,

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

If your limited on how many you can shoot, i would be inclined to take your time, see whats about, do lots of stalking and once you cant resist any more, shoot one..

Do what makes you happy Stratts, as you say its not about management, so it really doesn't matter.
    If you are only going to have the chance of a few, I would make them count personally, no harm looking around the place, taking a bit of time to see whats there first, if there is a nice buck, well, why not? more meat, nice memorable trophy for the wall..... don't rush it though, otherwise you'll have shot your 3 or 4 deer before you know it, and then be itching for more..
    ENJOY!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

If it was me I'd be doing a full walk of the ground and a comprehensive survey followed by a Risk assessment before I shoot anything. This not only gives you more knowledge of the ground but demonstrates to the land owner you are serious and competent to be there. It also demonstrates due diligence, which in these times is a must for all concerned.

All of this can be helpful for other potential land permission in the future.

stratts are you limited to the amount of times you can be on said ground ,i have a small farm which i just take the odd ones to keep numbers correct as the farmer likes to see them so i do what he wants but i am always on the ground foxing and fowling it doesn't stop me stalking the deer finding out where they like at what times of year. You build a picture up of what the dear does at certain times and you can also asses what deer are on the ground have fun enjoy stalking them you will learn more this way then just shooting them straight off. the other flip of the coin though is taking some opertunity's when they arise as deer make a habit of doing a dissapearing act on you or not presenting the right sex, have fun,wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    If it was me I'd be doing a full walk of the ground and a comprehensive survey followed by a Risk assessment before I shoot anything. This not only gives you more knowledge of the ground but demonstrates to the land owner you are serious and competent to be there. It also demonstrates due diligence, which in these times is a must for all concerned.

All of this can be helpful for other potential land permission in the future.
    +1 this is exactly what I would have advised. You are now building your reputation. Good Hunting

Thanks guys you've pretty much reflected what I was thinking, the only real issue now being my freezer is empty so I may not be able to resist taking the 1st one for too long!!

There's no limit to the time on the land and I have been doing general pest control on this area for over 2 years now so know it well. I have an idea of regular deer locations as I've seen them around and have also started to put trail cameras in the hot spots baited with apples as suggested on here on another thread.
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I'd shoot 1 now for the freezer, then when you've eaten it go get another.... and so on.
    After all that's what the farmer has agreed to and I guess you already know the land right?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

knowing the ground is one thing now you have to stalk into them use the deer to practice your fieldcraft on as there is no better indication of you doing something wrong than real deer bouncing away with the flared white arris,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I think I'd also chuck a few choice cuts and perhaps a string of sausages the farmer's way. Create a need for more there and you'll perhaps make him think that the deer are nice to see about the place, but also nice to see on the plate! Might encourage him to let you manage the numbers a bit more, um, proactively.