Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog insurance

Dog insurance

I've got 6 gun dogs that I'm looking to take out a new policy on as the old company i was using has gone bust. The new quotes are way higher than I've been paying, (maybe thats why they went bust!), so was wondering if any of you guys know any good companies to take out gun dog insurance with?

The new quotes are coming in at £1500 pa for 6 dogs!!

I asked myself the same question, I have 5 dogs, £1500 put to one side each year will pay a vets bill every few years,

My old springer when he got to 10 the premium doubled and instead of me paying the first £50 and they pay the rest, it became I pay the first £50 and they pay HALF,

Of all the vets I know with insured dogs they all use Pet Plan. Take from that what you will.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Of all the vets I know with insured dogs they all use Pet Plan. Take from that what you will.
    Sad (or happy) to say I fit into that demographic!! Not the cheapest but reasonable to deal with. Please bear in mind that all pre-existing conditions will now not be covered on your new policies, ie anything that they have suffered from in the past regardless of whether a claim has been made.

Also check the policy covers working dogs, if ur paid to pick up and use ur dogs for hire/reward (dunno if thats the correct term) some plicies don't cover u

I put the money in bank ,!!! Then pay as you go. The first ? The vets usually ask are you insured!!then guess
    ​the rest

Quote Originally Posted by dengreenhowe View Post
    I put the money in bank ,!!! Then pay as you go. The first ? The vets usually ask are you insured!!then guess
    ​the rest

That's another good way to go providing you have no big problems before you have built up a reserve of reasonable size

Quote Originally Posted by dengreenhowe View Post
    ​the rest
    The reason vets ask is that good care costs money. You can't do the very best by your dog on a low budget. We do our very best to be fair to our clients, but sometimes the bill mounts up. If the pet is insured we don't need to worry about the money, rather than discussing if the owner can afford the £100 blood test or should we try the cheaper one first.

If something major goes wrong then you go off and see the best man or woman for the job. Although I have the gear if my dog breaks her leg she's going to see the man above*...........

(I mean srvet, not God )

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The other reason we ask first, is to avoid working a case up on a tight budget, for the owner then to say "can I claim for this on my insurance?"

Buchan,don't get me wrong. I am going by what I have read on posts on here before. I can remember someone
    saying they were £200 for the same as the other paid over I think£400 on insurance.
    Yes this is quite possible,firstly the size of there premises,receptionists,kennel nurse,kennel maids and cleaners
    all to be paid for. There is a vet started a practise near me .Works from his house so this gives him little overheads. All calls to his mobile, and they say he goes 15 miles no charge and his prices way way under local vet.
    I have had same vets for 50 years plus and they started in there garage but now in a built to design surgery,so to me this is where we get variable prices. I did a lot of picking up in my days and most estates I worked for paid my vets bills if they were caused say old barbed wire overgrown or Brocken glass.

p