Sponsoring someone for there DSC

hawkhigh

Hi All
i have a bit of a Question on Sponsoring someone with there DSC now I have my DSC1 and I know I can after five years? but I have only held it for a year and a bit, But I'm looking to do my DSC2 would I still have to wait five? Or can I Sponsor him straight away.
Help please

many thanks
Graeme

Not quite sure what you mean by sponsor? There is no need to sponsor anyone for their DSCL1 (unless you mean financially), nor under any time constraint.
There is also no time constraint in completing a DSCL2 - other than you have to complete the portfolio within three years. There are well documented opinions on here around how much experience one should have before taking on L2, but there is no requirement of time - certainly not any mention of five years.

If you mean mentor, there is no official guideline on that either.

Mentor then, the bottom line is a friend wants to stalk but can't Afford to pay for his DSC and a weapon but has lots of land with deer which he wants to stalk but he can't get the weapon on his ticket

Mentor & Sponsor very different things i feel and carry totally different responsibilities, as you state he is a friend i would suggest that is how you treat him, lend him the dosh for the DSC and help him with all the field work, use his land as the practice arena putting a management plan together and then follow through with your plan & assesments and you could both benefit from it.
cheers

Do you mean you want to mentor him so he can get the rifle on his ticket, without doing a dsc ?
If so the answer is yes, and you don,t need a DSC to do it, only have to have experience of deer stalking. If this is what you plan, make sure you keep a record of the stalks you do.

Mentor then, the bottom line is a friend wants to stalk but can't Afford to pay for his DSC and a weapon but has lots of land with deer which he wants to stalk but he can't get the weapon on his ticket

OK - so he has land with deer on - so he has reasonable cause for a deer legal calibre - end of. No need for DSCL1 or anything else to have one on a licence - and mentoring is not standard - don't know if anyone else on here from the Sussex Constabulary area could shed any light here, but there is no reason yet stated why he should not be allowed a deer legal calibre.

If he cant afford the DSCL1 or a weapon - why can he not just go out with you and borrow your rifle under your guidance? Seems like the best way forward for both parties.

If he is the landowner he will get a deer legal calibre no problem. If he only has permission he may be pushed to do dsc1 or otherwise be mentored. For that you will need an open licence. I have found Sussex firearms department to be much more tolerant than in previous years .
​Atb Steve

Back