Tight chamber and reloading

My 6.5x55 does the same thing. When I FL resize, the chambering it tight. When I partially FL resize (Yes, an odd term coined by RCBS) they chamber fine: Better than neck sizing, far better than complete FL resizing. What brass?? Mine are PPU cases which chamber with pressure even in factory ammo.~Muir

Muir,

That sounds like a generous body taper dimension in the die (like the case is bulging at the base). This happened on the reformed 6.5CM brass I made from .308. A small base die solved it, but I can't recall if one is made for 6.5x55 (probably not I'd imagine.

For the one poster who commented about a SB die bumping the shoulder back more; I think that is incorrect. SB dies are for just that, swaging the base of the case back down to nominal dimensions so that the case can chamber without the rear body hanging up in the chamber. Typically SB dies are used for semi-autos/autos, as during rapid firing, on some rifles the case can still be expanding upon extraction or cases can be bloated due to a generous military chamber (used to ensure operation and reduce stoppages).

Oh, and why are people shortening their dies? I'd think the shell holder run across a bench sander would be much easier/cheaper that permanently modifying a set of dies for a specific rifle. Dies: $30-$75 Shellholder: $3-$10

​Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Oh, and why are people shortening their dies? I'd think the shell holder run across a bench sander would be much easier/cheaper that permanently modifying a set of dies for a specific rifle. Dies: $30-$75 Shellholder: $3-$10

​Am I missing something?

I have said the same thing many times.~Muir

​Am I missing something?

I had to shorten a seating die for my .222
all the other dies were fine but the seater die wouldnt let me seat one kind of bullet as it bottomed out

Was this a Wilson type die? Seater dies would just need a longer spindle, though I'm scratching my head on how a seater die could be too short?

I've now solved the problem, if ever there was one (probably listening to someone (no lets name him.a mr andy allwood)who thinks he can reload, and telling me I've got an overtight chamber and there is nothing that I can do about it, and should have bought a decent gun not a tikka!). The problem was letting him set the full length die up in the first place. yes he didn't give it the extra 1/4to1/2 turn as Paul'o on here said to do. And I didn't question it because I'm thinking this man knows his stuff, what he says goes. ( don't I feel like a idiot!!) so I got in earlier from work and thought I would have a play. I reset the fld up from scratch with the extra turn and done a couple of cases, chambered them and hey presto the bolt went down with ease, stunned f,ing stunned so thought I would do a few more and all chambered lovely. Now I originally done this with with neck sizeing die and it didn't matter if I turnd it that extra little bit or a whole turn or many turns, the cases just wouldn't chamber after . Mr allwood was right that I needed a fld but totally bulls'd up on setting it up right! I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping I am most grateful to you all thanks again.:D

I've now solved the problem, if ever there was one (probably listening to someone (no lets name him.a mr andy allwood)who thinks he can reload, and telling me I've got an overtight chamber and there is nothing that I can do about it, and should have bought a decent gun not a tikka!). The problem was letting him set the full length die up in the first place. yes he didn't give it the extra 1/4to1/2 turn as Paul'o on here said to do. And I didn't question it because I'm thinking this man knows his stuff, what he says goes. ( don't I feel like a idiot!!) so I got in earlier from work and thought I would have a play. I reset the fld up from scratch with the extra turn and done a couple of cases, chambered them and hey presto the bolt went down with ease, stunned f,ing stunned so thought I would do a few more and all chambered lovely. Now I originally done this with with neck sizeing die and it didn't matter if I turnd it that extra little bit or a whole turn or many turns, the cases just wouldn't chamber after . Mr allwood was right that I needed a fld but totally bulls'd up on setting it up right! I just want to say thank you to everyone for helping I am most grateful to you all thanks again.:D

told you this in my very first post,but alls well that's end well.you have learnt not to listen to idiots who obviously know nothing about reloading

well done sharkbait for figuring it out. I too have some doubts about some of the info given during the talk

I've now solved the problem, ....

Well done. One thing to ponder. Screwing the die in will set the shoulder back, however don't set the shoulders too far back. I'm aiming to set my shoulders back ~ 2 thou, however this is easier said than done. I have in the past set the shoulders back ~8 thou which is too much. One approach is to put a ref mark on the locking ring/die and screw the die in a fraction at a time. Take a fresh case each time, resize it, check it chambers and adjust the die if required. Once you feel you are in the right zone, take 3 or 4 cases and resize them all and check them. I measure the cases and check whether or not they chamber in my rifle.

Good luck.

JCS

Was this a Wilson type die? Seater dies would just need a longer spindle, though I'm scratching my head on how a seater die could be too short?

Lee
only too short on Amax, SP's were fine
not sure you can get longer spindles
seemed a simple solution especially as I don't actually need the die to bottom out on a seater

Back