Geese

donsider

Whilst I put the dogs out last night I heard my first sounds of flighting geese high overhead. Yes, Autumn is well and truly here now what with migrating geese and the roaring stags both heralding a time for plenty of sport with rod, rifle and gun.

Yes, I've been alerted to geese opportunity now on Anglesey, way south of you donsider. Cheers, K

Paul
Saw a very large "V" of them heading toward Strathbeg on Sunday 8th Sept. Got to be the earliest I've seen them.
Alan

They are bouncing about everywhere here on Anglesey, will hopefully be under them again this weekend.

Aye first of the big skiens over head last night using the NE winds to bring them down from Iceland about a week early.

Bod

They are bouncing about everywhere here on Anglesey, will hopefully be under them again this weekend.

i think the other Gent's are talking about migratory Geese eg Pinkfooted Geese and to be honest im not aware of these in Anglesey but good luck getting under what i would think are Feral Grey-Lag and Canada. A few Pink's have been around in Lincolnshire and Norfolk since the 8th Sept

.....I'm working from home today (just got SD on in the background, honest....), and I've literally just glanced out of the office window on the top floor to see a skein of 40 or so wafting through the sky.

I'm fortunate to live in apart of the world where we usually get lots of geese, and I do think that there is something quite special about being able to look up and see wave after wave of them flying overhead, honking as they go, especially later in the day and towards the evening.

Last edited:
Well they hadn't arrived this morning but looking across the marsh right now and skein after skein are flighting out to the low water marks.
wonderful sight and sound.

Saw 3 skeins yesterday morning at Newmachar.Not sure if any are on Skene yet as pretty early and presuming these are the first.

I saw 70 or so pinks lift off the reserve to the rear of my place last Thursday, last year pinks were here on the reserve in small numbers from the 31st of august.

Heard my first of this years skeins overhead tonight, but they've been down Montrose way for over a week now I hear. Here comes the cold...

Last edited:
just heard my first skein over Edinburgh this morning
gives me goose pimples (no pun intended!) and makes me think of stags!

This is not an area traditionally associated with wild geese but something about the local geography makes it attractive to Canadas which seem to be increasing every year. Spectacular low flying skeins.

Two big skeins went over last night, first we have seen this year, but we don't normally see many coming in mostly when they are going back to breed, funny that.

John

i think the other Gent's are talking about migratory Geese eg Pinkfooted Geese and to be honest im not aware of these in Anglesey but good luck getting under what i would think are Feral Grey-Lag and Canada. A few Pink's have been around in Lincolnshire and Norfolk since the 8th Sept
Yes your right there stalkerboydy they are feral gray but seem to be a lot more canadas this year for some reason. The odd pink has been known down here but not in big numbers.

A couple of thousand pinks came off the sands near here, a few hundred at a time, this morning about 6.30. Grand to see them back. These ones will be just having a rest before pressing on southward. The way the winds have been the last week will have helped them get here - - maybe one reason for them being a bit earlier than usual. As an aside my lads ( 4 of em) used to love Goose Tikka Masala - - 'til I told them it was "Goose" !!

JR

Saw a fair sized skein heading South over the north side of Aberdeen this morning. Always the first sign for me that's it's away to get a bit colder.

Back