Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: grouping !

grouping !

2 rounds is not a group its a coincidence !

the only true way to test your rifle , ammo and personal ability is to get down and group your rifle/ammo combination 3rds minimum 5 is better and 10 even better !

once you've grouped you have a benchmark against which to measure your improvement ? I for example from a bench can manage 1/2" groups sometimes , the limit is not my equipment but me ! but i also know that prone from a bipod i can group 1" 95% of the time which suits me for stalking , obviously those groups get larger as my position deteriorates from prone to sitting to kneeling to standing etc

basically what I'm saying everyone is , were delighted to see your groups , this is a shooting forum afterall ! but please put in 5 shots is that really so hard ?

Right where's those stones , I'll start !

​Seems that time changes things. In Col Whelen's day a 10 shot group was the norm.

As I believe I mentioned before when testing loads I use 3 shots as an indicator of which loads are worth pursuing and continuing with then do more testing with 5 round groups. Once I am happy then will often then do a "Master" target test and get a composite group of at least 25 sots on one "master" target with the groups shot over a period of time and at different times of day and in different weather condition. This shows the TRUE potential of the load, rifle and myself I can expect in the field.

so we agree brithunter

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    so we agree brithunter
    However, I don't. Two shots close together and having consistent elevation tell me a lot. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    However, I don't. Two shots close together and having consistent elevation tell me a lot. Regards JCS
    not as much as five close together with consistant elevation?

not as much as five close together with consistant elevation?
    ​​Very true. I was teasing. Here is a five shot group. I struggle to get below 1 MOA. Regards JCS

if you shoot good, then two rounds is all you need to check your rifle and ammo combination. After that your just throwing lead and money down range, it's not a grouping as such but you shouldn't need to throw 5-10 bullets down range to know if a setup is sound. You'd know that after the first 2 bullets because they'd either be in the same place or not.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    if you shoot good, then two rounds is all you need to check your rifle and ammo combination. After that your just throwing lead and money down range, it's not a grouping as such but you shouldn't need to throw 5-10 bullets down range to know if a setup is sound. You'd know that after the first 2 bullets because they'd either be in the same place or not.
    yes maybe to check a proven combination and even then i'd go for the third shot personally ?

I generally fired 20 - 40 rounds in three shot groups (hunting rifles) of the same load before I pronounce it's accuracy. Ten shots? Not in a light weight hunting rifle. You start heating the barrel and induce shooter fatigue. (no mods here!) If I fire ten or twelve 3 shot groups I think I can get a good idea of the accuracy of the load.~Muir

2 rounds is not a group its a coincidence !

the only true way to test your rifle , ammo and personal ability is to
    I find shooting stuff of benches tedious in the extreme. I bore easily
    I rarely shoot more than one or two to check zero, more interested in seeing where the thing lands at various ranges or conditions

What is interesting is that people can shoot a touching 3, 5 or 10 shot group from a bagged bench and then struggle to hit a 4-6" bull in a simulated stalking environment from prone, knees/sitting/kneeling, sticks/standing or if that monster buck/stag presents a fleeting chance of a shot before disappearing into the trees.
    Plenty of DSC candidates fail the rifle test with a bigger target than they would zero on.