Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: 75gr amax in tikka 22-250?

  1. #1

    75gr amax in tikka 22-250?

    Thinking about trying some 75gr Amax in my factory 22-250 tikka (1:14"), and just wondering if they will stabilise theoretically? Has one had any success with these in a standard tikka or anything with the same barrel twist.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    ​Joe

  2. #2
    Not worth the effort!
    Stick to 50-55 for that twist

  3. #3
    I was looking at using them in my 22.250 but the gun shop i was getting them form said i would need a faster twist and advised against it.
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

    A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Not worth the effort!
    Stick to 50-55 for that twist
    +1 if you want to shoot a heavier bullet get a 243

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pasky View Post
    Thinking about trying some 75gr Amax in my factory 22-250 tikka (1:14"), and just wondering if they will stabilise theoretically? Has one had any success with these in a standard tikka or anything with the same barrel twist.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    ​Joe
    I ran a Tikka 22.250 shooting nothing but the 75 grn Amax for several seasons.

    You need a 9 twist minimum to stabilze those pills.

    Once you get the right twist rate - the 22.250 out performs a standard 243 - I had both calibres at the same time and know from experience

    ATB
    Alan

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    I ran a Tikka 22.250 shooting nothing but the 75 grn Amax for several seasons.

    You need a 9 twist minimum to stabilze those pills.

    Once you get the right twist rate - the 22.250 out performs a standard 243 - I had both calibres at the same time and know from experience

    ATB
    Alan
    how does it out perform a 243 ???

  7. #7
    My 22.250 fired a bullet with a BC of 0.435 at 3360 fps.

    The three 243 rifles I have owned could launch an 87 grn Vmax at 3250 - 3300 fps with a BC of 0.400

    So it shoots a better BC bullet , faster

    The 22.250 can also launch a 53 grn Vmax ( BC 0.289) at 3800 fps

    You have to look at the 70 + grns range of 6mm bullets to find a similar BC - and the 243 is sgnificantly down on that velocity.

    Alan

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    My 22.250 fired a bullet with a BC of 0.435 at 3360 fps.

    The three 243 rifles I have owned could launch an 87 grn Vmax at 3250 - 3300 fps with a BC of 0.400

    So it shoots a better BC bullet , faster

    The 22.250 can also launch a 53 grn Vmax ( BC 0.289) at 3800 fps

    You have to look at the 70 + grns range of 6mm bullets to find a similar BC - and the 243 is sgnificantly down on that velocity.

    Alan
    forgive me for stating the obvious but how can you compare a 75gr bullet against an 87ge bullet,surely to get a true test both rifle must shoot the same weight of bullet or your finding mean nothing
    a 243 with a 75 gr pill will easy outrun a 22.250 with the same weight bullet
    we all know Horanadys BC is a bit on the high side plus there line of bullets have somewhat slipped in quality wouldn't you say
    a 243 can launch a 58 gr pill at 3800 with ease
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 17-09-2013 at 15:06.

  9. #9
    The reason I compared the 75 grn Amax in 224 cal with the 87 grn Vmax in 243 cal, is because bullets are of similar BC's - and that is the fairest way . In order to achieve the same BC bullet as a 75 grn Amax - you need to look at 90 + grn bullets in 243.

    Your last post illustrates this point perfectly - - Yes the 58 grn Vmax in 243 can easily reach 3800 fps - but it only has a BC of 0.250 ( Brian Litz independently measured the BC at 0.238 )

    Whereas the 53 grn Vmax in 224 cal has a genuine BC of 0289 - this means it flies flatter - and retains more energy at longer range.

    I know I wont convince you - and I don't feel the need to try - But it is worth noting that only one of us can speak from direct experience of owning both the 22.250 shooting 75 grn bullets and directly comparing it to a 243'.

    Mine is a unbiased opinion based on experience of firing thousands of rounds using both cals and if that not good enough, just plug the numbers into any ballistic program.

    I am not knocking the 243 But the OP asked specifically about the 22.250 shooting a 75 grn bullet - your solution of getting a 243 in preference, wont give him any ballistic advantage - in fact it will be slightly worse ballistically.


    Live long and prosper
    Alan
    Last edited by sir-slots-alot; 17-09-2013 at 15:59.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    The reason I compared the 75 grn Amax in 224 cal with the 87 grn Vmax in 243 cal, is because bullets are of similar BC's - and that is the fairest way . In order to achieve the same BC bullet as a 75 grn Amax - you need to look at 90 + grn bullets in 243.

    Your last post illustrates this point perfectly - - Yes the 58 grn Vmax in 243 can easily reach 3800 fps - but it only has a BC of 0.250 ( Brian Litz independently measured the BC at 0.238 )

    Whereas the 53 grn Vmax in 224 cal has a genuine BC of 0289 - this means it flies flatter - and retains more energy at longer range.

    I know I wont convince you - and I don't feel the need to try - But it is worth noting that only one of us can speak from direct experience of owning both the 22.250 shooting 75 grn bullets and directly comparing it to a 243'.

    Mine is a unbiased opinion based on experience of firing thousands of rounds using both cals and if that not good enough, just plug the numbers into any ballistic program.

    I am not knocking the 243 But the OP asked specifically about the 22.250 shooting a 75 grn bullet - your solution of getting a 243 in preference, wont give him any ballistic advantage - in fact it will be slightly worse ballistically.


    Live long and prosper
    Alan
    its all numbers on paper mate,if its that good why did you sell it ?? and what do you shoot now 6mm isn't it

Similar Threads

  1. Howa? Or Tikka 22.250?????????
    By Summers in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19-08-2013, 12:04
  2. For Sale Powder Clearout & 75gr Amax's
    By mildot in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-02-2013, 19:56
  3. For Sale Tikka M558 .22-250
    By leebut in forum Firearms
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 18:52
  4. For Sale Tikka m595 22.250
    By dc5 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-12-2011, 17:52
  5. For Sale tikka 595 22.250
    By jb7x57 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-09-2011, 19:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •