Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help!

help!

hello there,

i got offered loads of lee reloading gear for the 6.5x55 ; bench, press, dies, auto prime, powder measure, safety scales cases, 120 bt bullets, primers, case length tool, primer pocket thing, lube pad lube, for £150 so i thort i cant go wrong, so brought it.

but how easy it is to homeload? and what would be the best powder for 6.5x55? and how much of it? any suggestions would be very welcome

STOP the one thing I don't see on that list is a manual. Read read and read up some more. Learning about reloading, ballistics and the process will give you a understanding of what you are undertaking and keep you safe.

​I almost think this could be a wind up with questions of how much powder to use??

Depending upon the make will determine the price. I assume they are Lee scales as they call theirs "safety Scales" so is the rest Lee or is it other makes?

Without knowing the make one cannot in all honesty comment on the price being good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Depending upon the make will determine the price. I assume they are Lee scales as they call theirs "safety Scales" so is the rest Lee or is it other makes?

Without knowing the make one cannot in all honesty comment on the price being good or not.
    every thing is lee, a mate brought it but then decided he couldn't be asked to reload so then asked me if i wanted to buy it, its brand new never been used... and lordy nope there isnt a manual, but im reading up as much as i can on the internet, and the question on how much powder is because i don't want to start silly low an it take ages to work up to the best round, and nor do i want to put too much in and blow my self up..... any help and advice would be very welcome.....

bench, - ?
    press, - £30-70
    dies, - £20-30
    auto prime, -£15-20
    powder measure, - £10-15
    safety scales cases, -£10
    120 bt bullets, ? how many what brand
    primers, ? £30-40/1000
    case length tool, £5
    primer pocket thing, £2
    lube pad lube £10-15

£150 could be a bargain depending on what you have bought, or it could be what he paid for it new.

depending on powder and bullets you need data
    you also need to take the advice and read the hell out of all things around the basics of internal ballistic (what happens when it goes bang!)
    and external ballistics (what happens when it exits the metal tube!)

books are a good start and nice to thumb through in front of a open fire
    the web has numerous places to look
    start with the producers of the components

You'd do far worse than to read the overview at the top of this section.
    Powder wise you could go to the Lapua website:

VV 6.5x55

and use that as a start.

Whatever you do, please do read and, if possible, get someone local to show you the ropes prior to starting your journey......oh, nearly forgot...the most important thing now is to grow a large moustache and develop a disdainful look (think car mechanic look when you ask him about your big end) so you can talk to others about reloading
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    bench, - ?
    press, - £30-70
    dies, - £20-30
    auto prime, -£15-20
    powder measure, - £10-15
    safety scales cases, -£10
    120 bt bullets, ? how many what brand
    primers, ? £30-40/1000
    case length tool, £5
    primer pocket thing, £2
    lube pad lube £10-15

£150 could be a bargain depending on what you have bought, or it could be what he paid for it new.

depending on powder and bullets you need data
    you also need to take the advice and read the hell out of all things around the basics of internal ballistic (what happens when it goes bang!)
    and external ballistics (what happens when it exits the metal tube!)

books are a good start and nice to thumb through in front of a open fire
    the web has numerous places to look
    start with the producers of the components

the 120 bt are nosler, and 200 of them and its sounds like you know alot more about this than i do, so what book would be best? and how far are you from jed? an hour ish?

Coincidence...?
    Advice please 6.5 x 55
    The two of you should compare notes or combine the threads

My recipe:
    Nosler 130gr BT
    Viht N160 50.7 grains

Use the Lapua/Viht reloading guide http://www.lapua.com/upload/download...uideed9eng.pdf on lapua.com and go to page 23 for 6.5x55 loads

Doesn't have all ammo, but will give you a good starting point for loads.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

find some one to give you hands with a how too on hand loading ! we don't wish you to have an accident , any one live nr you on the site ?

Millions of reloaders have read the "how to" sections of reloading manuals and gotten by quite nicely on their own. If a person is literate and follows instructions there will be no accidents while making serviceable ammunition. Very experienced reloaders can confound a beginner with advice. I have always felt that if properly instructed, a new reloader should walk away from his first session saying, "WTF?? THAT'S IT???" There should be no talk of distance from the lands or bumping or neck sizing... just FL resize, trim, prime, charge, seat to specified OAL. Right out of the book with starting charges for the powder selected. No one should be taught without their OWN reloading manual open in front of them. When they have demonstrated those basics just tip your hat and leave them to shoot. Tell them to use the same load next time they reload as well so that there are no new variables when they are reloading alone. I have taught many people how to reload and this technique has never failed to get the newbie up and running solo with as little confusion as possible.~Muir