I have over the years tried many moderators and they all have worked well to a point some where quieter than others some where heavy I finally settled on the a-tec maxim which is both light and reflex over barrel design, with the option to add more baffles if you want to make it more effective it comes as standard with 4 baffles I currently run 5 on mine I really like this moderator xtra baffles are about £25 available from jackson rifles, another mod you might want to consider is the wildcat predator 8 I run one on my 17 rem foxing rifle and would be happy with either.

I also use an Atec Maxim with an extra baffle for my .308. They are effective but on the heavy side, have been eying up the new Atec Carbon although no reviews around yet. Should be a good bit lighter and as effective if the hype is anything to go by.

ASE Utra, quiet, and nowhere near as heavy as the lump on the other end of the barrel !

i use a t8 on the .308 but as i now have a hardy g 4 on the .243 and am very happy with the mod iam going to get one for the .308 very light

T8 on mine which seems to do the job very well.
T8 on the 243 good too
DM80 on the 17rem..excellent as it can be taken apart for cleaning

I use Jim Baker Marauder stainless mods on my 308, 222, 223 AI and soon to be .17CF custom. They're british, slim (no seeing them in the scope or lamp reflections), reflex/over barrel style and totally maintenance free, as well as being quieter and lighter than a T8 or any of the Wildcat mods.

They apparently now come in a few different sizes to cover all calibres too, so they're all I'll buy now for my CF's..
I just leave them to dry out on the radiator after use and that's it! :)

I am with you SaltLick
I had one made by jim baker, jim as started making moderators range of calibres and fittings,
I went to see him to test fired one and i must say the Sound reduction on my rifle(22-250) and (243)was ace , i had a T8 on my rifle but this new one offers a lot better sound reduction.
It is made of stainless steel and is a sealed unit consisting of a series of welded baffles forward of the muzzle, with a large rear expansion chamber that sits over the barrel its powder coating on the out side , the powder coating can be done in any colours, jim said i could have a pink one!!!!

Another one here for the t8, good to clean and maintain aswell.
had t8 on my .223 for years now never had any issues!

All depends on what you're prepared to lug round.

At the range, then T8 is a great bit of kit as it's heavy, quiet and cuts down on muzzle flip. Out stalking, I'd rather use the Hardy Gen IV that I moved to from the T8.

Ok, not as quiet, but 45% of the weight

Interestingly the new mods that he's making now have turned stainless baffles in them, so they're more refined internally now. Not sure it will make much difference but I'll soon find out on my new one!
Talking of coatings, he's got some new rubberised finish to apply too, and it can be repaired/re-applied if it gets damaged, so that should be a nice tidy alternative to a neoprene mod cover. It'll protect the underlying powder coated finish too.

Hi,
I use an MAE T12 SCOUT on my 24" barrelled, .308, Mannlicher Classic and am more than pleased with it. The construction is all stainless with a matt black outer finish. Only maintenance required is a squirt of WD40 into it and left standing on end to drain. Suits me!

They're another great mod, and the Marauders are a very similar design. Although tbh if you wanted to skip the WD40 step you could, as they just don't need it..

Interestingly the new mods that he's making now have turned stainless baffles in them, so they're more refined internally now. Not sure it will make much difference but I'll soon find out on my new one!
Talking of coatings, he's got some new rubberised finish to apply too, and it can be repaired/re-applied if it gets damaged, so that should be a nice tidy alternative to a neoprene mod cover. It'll protect the underlying powder coated finish too.
Have you seen his land rover its got a rubberised finish Ha Ha:rofl:

I know! It's quite cool though :D

I thought it was underseal at first!! oops!! Apparently it's not the same stuff, but something he was trying :)

Without doubt i would go for the AimSport Cyclone +. I've had most moderators on 308 but nothing has come close to the Cyclone+. 28-32dB reduction BUT for the first time ever I can see the point of impact. The lack of recoil is stunning. There's a short review on my blog.

Back