Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Mitchell knives I've got for review.....

Stuart Mitchell knives I've got for review.....

Evenin' all,

I trust I'm not alone in lamenting the recent passing away of the summer?

Well, it's that time where nights are drawing in, and the log burners are getting lit, and the time to do other stuff of an evening is very quickly approaching. The herald for that time of year has for me always been when the hops are being picked, as is the case right now.

So here i sit, twiddling my thumbs, the mrs is at work on a night shift.... How about i tell you about some knives I've been looking at to while away part of my evening afore bed....

A little while ago Stuart Mitchell sent me down a knife to have a play with. It's made in a type of stainless steel that doesn't get used much nowadays. Some of you may know, but for those that don't, this year marked the 100th anniversary of the time when Harry Brearley invented stainless steel in Sheffield.

So Stuart had an entire bloom of SF100 made, nearly 2 tonnes of steel!

Now with so many modern steels knocking about, how would this old recipe 'cut it' against the likes of RWL 34? That's where i and several other folk step in.

I've been using this:

since the 1st of Fallow season.

Having done a few deer with it now, i can only say how happy i am with it. It's a beautiful little all rounder. Done Fallow, Roe and Muntjac with it and i can't find fault with it. Got these few pics of my mate Phil doing one of his first grallochs with it on a Muntjac:

Used it to split the chest as well:

Being made of stainless and with it's Linen micarta handles, it takes no offence to being wiped over with anti bacterial wipes in the field and a good wash when home. And also, crucially, it takes and holds a good edge.

Now this one is a new model at the moment, but i can forsee it being very good for the likes of us. It's a well made working tool, and I'll miss it when i send it back. One day when he's listened to all the testers reports i expect it'll be available as one of his standard models. When that time comes I'll happily invest in my own one.

I've also just received this little one in the same steel:

Both have nicely tapered tangs:

It's a new knife but it's a model he calls the Muntjac, hence the skulls in the pics!

I'll add more pics of the wee'yin when I've got it bloody.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Couple of nice looking knives.

​George.

The scales are nicely contoured. It looks like it would be comfortable in the hand. Thanks for the pictures and review. What are these likely to cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    The scales are nicely contoured. It looks like it would be comfortable in the hand. Thanks for the pictures and review. What are these likely to cost?
    No worries mate.

They feel and carry as good as they look. I couldn't even guess as to their monetary value though, sorry mucker.
    Last edited by digger9523; 19-09-2013 at 16:18.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Nice knives particularly like that little stumpy one. On another note what's happened to your eyesight in the last few months that you need glasses
    ​atb Steve

I particularly like the unpolished finish to the micarta as this will make it nice and grippy when wet.
    often polished Micarta can feel slippy when bloodied up !!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant.N View Post
    I particularly like the unpolished finish to the micarta as this will make it nice and grippy when wet.
    often polished Micarta can feel slippy when bloodied up !!

Absolutely right mate, I favour the textured as well.

Also, really like the green. But it is going to be available in different colours.

Very nice. I love Stuart's knives and treasure mine.

Got a very prompt and informative E.mail from Stuart this morning concerning these particular knives looking forward to if and when they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Got a very prompt and informative E.mail from Stuart this morning concerning these particular knives looking forward to if and when they become available.

Good for you mate.

Which one's caught your eye, bigger or smaller? I'm hoping to do some work with the smaller one (the Muntjac) this weekend. After that I'll put some more pics up.

Some of you will have seen my rough and ready attempts at knife making. They do a job, but they're nowhere near the same build quality as these.

I think the fact that I've dabbled with some making and do a fair amount of stalking has given me a unique perspective on the subject at hand, hence I'm doing these trials. Helps to be able to sprachen ze lingo as well.

Stuart's made well over 500 of his own custom knives, but was also apprenticed under his parents who were time served Sheffield cutlers. Some of the older members here may remember buying Pat Mitchell knives at game fairs in years gone by?

So Stu's more than likely played a part in the creation of a few thousand knives and swords!

Over the past few years he's developed some really great kit, his Secare knife was sent all over the world for trials with different types of people, explorers, climbers, bushcrafter/survivalists and even a few stalkers.

It was a really impressive piece of work, not only in the knife itself, but also just to see a bloke develop something and have the absolute faith in his own work to send it all over hells creation to have people pick holes in it (If they could...)

T'is the reason I personally place him at the top of the pole when it comes to UK knife making.