Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfortunate Events in Austria.

Unfortunate Events in Austria.

I came across this in Reuters. Always slightly alarming what a mentally disturbed, motivated individual can do. It's interesting as there was an apparent mental health angle involved in the US Navy Dockyard shooting a few days ago too.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...98G1EY20130917
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 18-09-2013 at 00:23.

He still had security clearance for the base even though he was a risk

Terribly sad the events in Washington as I was watching the news last night all they seemed to focus on was gun control not the fact that he'd been given a security clearance!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

In the Washington case, there was a suggestion that budgetary constraints were leading to lax vetting procedures.

I don't know anything about Austrian firearms licensing procedures, but the article mentions that the murderer told his friend about his schizophrenia two weeks prior to the incident.

The Austrian firearms licensing procedures were toughened up last year while I was there on a project 01 Oct as I remember was the end date for having to register what you have got in the way of firesticks.
    Ammo is still freely available over the counter without any paperwork as I did prove by buying some.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    The Austrian firearms licensing procedures were toughened up last year while I was there on a project 01 Oct as I remember was the end date for having to register what you have got in the way of firesticks.
    Ammo is still freely available over the counter without any paperwork as I did prove by buying some.
    Martin
    I'm surprised that the self-serving European Parliament hasn't yet taken steps to harmonise and standardise firearms licensing across the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I'm surprised that the self-serving European Parliament hasn't yet taken steps to harmonise and standardise firearms licensing across the EU.
    They have, but many member states are far more stringent than anything the EU requires anyway. If we just stuck to EU rules, we'd have a much easier time of it. The reason for the harmonisation is to make the European Firearms Pass system work better. It's all part of the free movement of peoples and goods.

All the EU do is to make problems and all we do is to adhere to silly laws that no other country seems to.As are the human rights also over the top. I would vote to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    All the EU do is to make problems and all we do is to adhere to silly laws that no other country seems to.As are the human rights also over the top. I would vote to leave!
    I really don't want to be drawn into this discussion because it always degenerates massively within about three posts. It's up there with trying to discuss badger culls in the topics that can't be discussed sensibly anymore. But The European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights are nothing to do with the EU. And just because every so often some people abuse the protection that HR legislation affords, it doesn't mean that it isn't a good thing that we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I really don't want to be drawn into this discussion because it always degenerates massively within about three posts. It's up there with trying to discuss badger culls in the topics that can't be discussed sensibly anymore. But The European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights are nothing to do with the EU. And just because every so often some people abuse the protection that HR legislation affords, it doesn't mean that it isn't a good thing that we have it.
    It's not all bad in some respects. Some just aren't in favour of European Federalism interfering in the affairs of sovereign states. Human rights legislation is admirable. However, it's questionable when it protects criminals. Anyway, in the words of a noted European:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire.