Bolt Holster

Naseby

Useful thing to have or unnecessary bit of kit?
I think it might serve a purpose when travelling long distances, but I know that I can manage without.
Opinions please

Got one. Never use it. That said there have been a few occasions when I wished I had. Am pleased I have it but don't really value it if that makes sense.

for me it would be a disaster as i would be bound to lose the bolt, i keep mine with the rifle, I have heard so many times of people leaving or losing the bolt, atb wayne

For what they cost it gives you a chance to separate the bolt from the rifle if the need arises & is kinder to the bolt than rattling around in your pocket.

Probably the most useless purchase you will ever make... Some stuff for sale is a bit like fishing tackle, it catches more mugs than fish.

Probably the most useless purchase you will ever make... Some stuff for sale is a bit like fishing tackle, it catches more mugs than fish.

Lets hope no one relieves you of your vehicle with your rifle in it with the bolt in. I've witnessed a 4x4 stolen from outside a forestry commission office in the middle of the day.

I have one that was made to measure by JasonH on this site. Apart from being beautiful it's very useful when I travel with the rifle, that way the bolt is separate AND I'm unlikely to lose it. Also useful on the range. Out in the field, no, it's not useful, but it's in transit that it comes into its own. And of course it protects the bolt from scratches, knocks and so on. The useless item that I have is the equally lovely bullet pouch. Much as I love matching leather accessories, I just don't ever need an extra five rounds...

I have one that was made to measure by JasonH on this site. Apart from being beautiful it's very useful when I travel with the rifle, that way the bolt is separate AND I'm unlikely to lose it. Also useful on the range. Out in the field, no, it's not useful, but it's in transit that it comes into its own. And of course it protects the bolt from scratches, knocks and so on. The useless item that I have is the equally lovely bullet pouch. Much as I love matching leather accessories, I just don't ever need an extra five rounds...

Matching leather accessories?:rofl:

My bolt sits in the ammo cabinet, out of the rifle and in one of these. When travelling, the bolt is in my pocket, in one of these, so it's stops any damage and general sh*t getting anywhere near it.

Just an opinion, but I swear by them

Oh...not the other kind of leather accessories. The bolt holster and pouch are beautifully finished. The Stutzen is lovely too.

Thanks! The sling is made of a piece of the same cow too. The whole set-up handles and shoots beautifully too. Although admittedly the leather has nothing to do with that.

Thanks! The sling is made of a piece of the same cow too. The whole set-up handles and shoots beautifully too. Although admittedly the leather has nothing to do with that.

I was looking at a Sako Bavarian Carbine a while ago but was advised that the full length stock can sometimes warp and impinge on the barrel. I'd still love one though, as aesthetically they are very pleasing.

SAKO%2085%20bavarian_carbine.jpg

Have you had any issues with yours? Is it the type of rifle you only use in fair weather or where it won't get knocked about too much? I'm with you on Richard Scarry as well. Loved those books as a kid, although I've read that they have now been slightly sanitised for the modern world.

To get back on topic, I think a bolt holster is a good idea in the field, as it means there is an allocated place for it which may make it a bit less likely to go astray.

Last edited:
Nope, no trouble at all, because it's good quality seasoned walnut and I take care of it. I've used it in torrential rain where it was properly soaked with no trouble at all. It is in fact a free-floating barrel, although it doesn't look it. I've also shot several rounds at targets in fairly rapid succession with no noticeable shift in zero. So I think that people may talk a lot of nonsense about stutzens. I mean if they were that bad, no-one would make them. As it happens, pretty much every central European manufacturer makes and sells plenty.

Have you ever come across Pierre Bear by Patricia Scarry? It's brilliant. They did remove a bit of it in later editions, specifically the part where he pretty much buys Mrs Bear at the trading post in exchange for furs. But I don't think the book was supposed to be a guide to relationships. That was just a fast-forward plot device.

I always use a bolt carrier and 5 round pouch. That way, if I ever leave the vehicle either voluntarily or, heaven forbid, after a motor accident, the bolt and rounds are with me and not with the rifle. That way the police can hardly say that I have been negligent in my duty of care.

Here is Pierre Bear and Baby Bear knocking over what looks like a harp seal with their flintlocks. Didn't realise it was Patricia Scarry's work. As the illustration shows, there was no need for a bolt holster in those days, but they both have big powder horns.

11537975_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one. The whole point is that at the start, Pierre is lonely and has to go ice-fishing for his solitary supper. Then he shoots and prepares a moose, which is a lot of meat, even for a bear. By the end, he has Baby Pierre to take along with him, and Mrs Bear makes them fur coats, and everyone's a lot happier. I actually thought of calling Young Pine Marten Pierre, but I didn't. He'll still have to come along on adventures with me though. And to paraphrase Mrs Bear, we shall be "The two greatest Hunters in West London" (probably not that hard an achievement).

Bears wearing fur coats. Brilliant. Being interested in hunting and living in London is an achievement. I'm meeting a mate later to discuss the logistics of a drive to Caithness in November, via the Black Isle Brewery just north of Inverness, to hunt red hinds for two days. We then need to get a butcher to process and vacuum pack any animals down into sausages, burgers and cuts before the drive back down to London. Good to hear that the Baby Mustelid and Mr and Mrs Pine Marten are well.

Back