Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight issues.

Weight issues.

I have a Sako 85 Hunter (.308) with an Atec Maxim (with extra baffle just over 500g) at one end and a Harris bi-pod underneath (just under 400g). A nice set up but one problem, it weighs a tonne. My shoulder hurt for two days after a day on the hill a few weeks back. I was thinking of replacing the Atec with a Hardy Gen IV as it will weigh nearly half and gets generally positive reviews on performance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter bipod to further reduce the weight?

Live with the rifle on your shoulder more...you soon get used to it
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Versapod are good , they unclip and you can put them in your pocket. Just clip it on for final approach.

Have to agree with Limulus, just get used to it. I am preparing for a trip up north on the reds and checked out my rifle setup last night - with all its bits on my thoughts were, '**** that's heavy', but such is life and I will just have to live with it.
    Sorry if that sounds unhelpful. But I went through the same thought processes as you in years gone by and have just decided to live with it.
    Provided you can shoot ok with what you have leave it or possibly get a better sling/gun bag.....
    Cheers,
    hh

could try a rucksack type sling, spit the load on both shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    I have a Sako 85 Hunter (.308) with an Atec Maxim (with extra baffle just over 500g) at one end and a Harris bi-pod underneath (just under 400g). A nice set up but one problem, it weighs a tonne. My shoulder hurt for two days after a day on the hill a few weeks back. I was thinking of replacing the Atec with a Hardy Gen IV as it will weigh nearly half and gets generally positive reviews on performance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter bipod to further reduce the weight?
    I'm with you, they seem to grow heavier with every step.
    got a howa, and even without bipod or mod its a lump.
    Sport should be enjoyable, not graft
    needs to be about 7.5lb or less all up for comfort

Had the same thing and I'm a fairly fit/strong lad. You just have to build up that extra capacity and it soon becomes ok. I have Sauer 202 with atec mod and normal size scope and inc sling it still comes in at 9lb something. Can't really see how you could get down all that much. I don't bother with the bi-pod but never shot out on the open hill. I just bought a small side hung bag for my grallocking stuff and little bits like range finder etc as I hate having my jacket pockets full of stuff and never remember to get gloves out before starting grallock etc. Now I can carry rifle on rucksack sling as have no back pack. Must say it is very comfortable. Then just have rifle on shoulder while in the stalk.

Lose The mod and/or The bipod. AS others have said you can use a rolled up jacket or a rucksack for support.

Thanks for the replies, I think I might change to the Hardy mod, which will save 220g, and lose the bipod. That'll certainly make a difference. Can always stick the bipod back on if needed for a particular stalk. Also have sticks which I would like to use more. Thanks again.

Spend some time on the weights and work on your fitness,what will happen if you shoot something how you going to extract the beast?man up.