Weight issues.

Sako308

I have a Sako 85 Hunter (.308) with an Atec Maxim (with extra baffle just over 500g) at one end and a Harris bi-pod underneath (just under 400g). A nice set up but one problem, it weighs a tonne. My shoulder hurt for two days after a day on the hill a few weeks back. I was thinking of replacing the Atec with a Hardy Gen IV as it will weigh nearly half and gets generally positive reviews on performance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter bipod to further reduce the weight?

Have to agree with Limulus, just get used to it. I am preparing for a trip up north on the reds and checked out my rifle setup last night - with all its bits on my thoughts were, '**** that's heavy', but such is life and I will just have to live with it.
Sorry if that sounds unhelpful. But I went through the same thought processes as you in years gone by and have just decided to live with it.
Provided you can shoot ok with what you have leave it or possibly get a better sling/gun bag.....
Cheers,
hh

I have a Sako 85 Hunter (.308) with an Atec Maxim (with extra baffle just over 500g) at one end and a Harris bi-pod underneath (just under 400g). A nice set up but one problem, it weighs a tonne. My shoulder hurt for two days after a day on the hill a few weeks back. I was thinking of replacing the Atec with a Hardy Gen IV as it will weigh nearly half and gets generally positive reviews on performance. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter bipod to further reduce the weight?

I'm with you, they seem to grow heavier with every step.
got a howa, and even without bipod or mod its a lump.
Sport should be enjoyable, not graft
needs to be about 7.5lb or less all up for comfort

Had the same thing and I'm a fairly fit/strong lad. You just have to build up that extra capacity and it soon becomes ok. I have Sauer 202 with atec mod and normal size scope and inc sling it still comes in at 9lb something. Can't really see how you could get down all that much. I don't bother with the bi-pod but never shot out on the open hill. I just bought a small side hung bag for my grallocking stuff and little bits like range finder etc as I hate having my jacket pockets full of stuff and never remember to get gloves out before starting grallock etc. Now I can carry rifle on rucksack sling as have no back pack. Must say it is very comfortable. Then just have rifle on shoulder while in the stalk.

Thanks for the replies, I think I might change to the Hardy mod, which will save 220g, and lose the bipod. That'll certainly make a difference. Can always stick the bipod back on if needed for a particular stalk. Also have sticks which I would like to use more. Thanks again.

Spend some time on the weights and work on your fitness,what will happen if you shoot something how you going to extract the beast?man up.

You could just take 1 bullet on the hill and it would probably save you the same amount of weight as changing the mod. It's not a heavy set up, i think you'd be better off as said before just getting used to carrying it, get a croots slip or another decent make and distribute the weight better and it should help.

Small set of sticks in your ruck sack or if you need to quickly use them then keep them in your sock

If you could loose a Stone or a half a Stone body weight would that solve your problem? Most men should, and most people can, with some determination. I am on (yet another) quest to loose some weight to aid my stalking fitness - just think about carrying that Roe carcass in your Roe sack uphill for a Mile, one day you'll find yourself in the dark, far away from your car, in bad weather, and a carcass to recover, than you'll be grateful for your fitness regime.
Buying more or new kit isn't always the answer!

same rifle but with a t8 goner get a hg4 for it and see into a pepper box type muz/brake. i have done this on the rpa swap'd out the mod so far much better for lugging around.
Sako 85 SS .308 is so light but add a mod like the t8 and it becomes barrel heavy , i don't use a bi-pod as i walk with Q/sticks also i have a small back pack so this becomes my rest should it be needed

Last edited:
you need to split the weight over both shoulders with a double sling, I have a tikka t3 heavy barrel with heavy mod and big optic but I tramp about all day. So long as the weight is split you'll be fine, then it's on your legs!

you need to split the weight over both shoulders with a double sling, I have a tikka t3 heavy barrel with heavy mod and big optic but I tramp about all day. So long as the weight is split you'll be fine, then it's on your legs!

Well said Paul. I use a niggeloh sling and it works wonders.

Regards,
Glendine

Buy yourself a big heavy bas**rd rifle and carry that around for a year or two. When you back to the svelte little Sako it will be a pleasure!

I know the feeling. My first rifle, a sako based custom 300 Win Mag, was also to heavy. Certainly 4.5 kg rifle+scope+mounts, no moderator or bipod. There isn't much to do about if you don't look for light weight from the start. A rifle can only weigh 6 1/4 to max 6 1/2 nude. Get a light 200 gr moderator and a light 42mm quality scope.
2.8kg + 200 gr + 500gr only makes 3.5kg. Add a bipod and you stay below 4 kg wich is the absolute maximum to carry long days over long distances.
If finances permit you can get an ultralight mod wich will save 300 grams. Maybe you could also find an ultralight synthetic stock and gain 200 grams. These changes will allready save more than 1 pound. Shorten the barrel to 20" will also help, but only very little.

Get a nigeloh sling. I use one on my rifle slip. Weighed my rifle the other day I was shocked at the weight. Never been bothered by it on the hill. The nigeloh sling helps when you have to drag a 15st stag, the rifle stays in place. Fitness helps too.

Back