Thread: Another great Job by Jager SA.

Another great Job by Jager SA.

My brother snapped off a scope base mounting screw in the receiver of his Howa, when trying to remove the snapped screw he got a bit carried away and drilled the screw out but also into the chamber. He went to a couple of gunsmiths and was told rifle’s scrap, you will have to get it re-barrelled and was given a price of between £500 and £1,000.

I spoke to James at Jager who I know and he said get him to send it to me and he would look at it. He duly sent it to James. James was able to remove the barrel and then repair the damage to the barrel, re-tap the damage receiver to M4, and while he had the barrel in the lathe he polished the chamber as part of the repair and re-crowned the muzzle.

Job done for a quarter of the price including re-proof, we then re-zeroed it and he shot a deer with it on our trip this week.

A big thank you on behalf of my brother, another job well done at a most competitive price.

Tahr

It wasn't a hard job mate, just needed to want to do it rather than replace the barrel. Shoots ok anyway so all good.

That's what annoys me about today's 'throw away' society! If something can be made, than it can generally be repaired! Too many of todays supposed 'gunsmiths' either don't have the basic engineering skills, or simply can't be bothered as it will generate more revenue to replace rather than repair. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. Obviously passed the proof test too which gives ultimate confidence in the repair.
    Great job, and good to hear that the art of rifle repair is still alive!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    That's what annoys me about today's 'throw away' society! If something can be made, than it can generally be repaired! Too many of todays supposed 'gunsmiths' either don't have the basic engineering skills, or simply can't be bothered as it will generate more revenue to replace rather than repair. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. Obviously passed the proof test too which gives ultimate confidence in the repair.
    Great job, and good to hear that the art of rifle repair is still alive!
    MS

I'll flog him a new barrel next time...ive got an old 30-06 barrel gathering dust...might work that into him! lol

just out of interest what calibre was it? mine sheared one and bent the other 3 rail studs. in .300 win mag. had to drill them out to m4.
    up and at um

Quote Originally Posted by waldini View Post
    just out of interest what calibre was it? mine sheared one and bent the other 3 rail studs. in .300 win mag. had to drill them out to m4.
    ​.270 win