Thread: Wigeon query

Wigeon query

Hi folks,
    got a couple o Wigeon and heard they can be muddy to taste, only cooked once before & that involved , skinning fully then soaking overnight in cold water , then simmering lightly for 2- 2.5 hrs and meat just falls off & was lovely.

any other methods you have that easy & combat a possible muddy taint ??

cheers
    paul

It really just depends on where they're been feeding lately, same as fish.

I really like them, and end up eating a lot of them. I reckon they are best in that first fortnight when they have come across the sea, just roasted whole with some marmalade on the breasts. I have had them breasted in a stir fry or two which was very pleasant.

The one you want to worry about is shoveler.

Stick an onion in them when you put them in the oven,and a rasher of bacon on the breast. Wf1

Stick a stone in the cavity roast bird for a hour take out of oven throw away the duck and eat the stone bloody awful to eat so much so I don't raise the gun to them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    Stick a stone in the cavity roast bird for a hour take out of oven throw away the duck and eat the stone bloody awful to eat so much so I don't raise the gun to them anymore
    Rubbish Wf1

widgeon that have been feeding inland are usually ok,its the ones that have been feeding on the estuaries on zostera that smell like marsh gas when theyve been cooked.an old fowling friend said if yousoak them in milk overnight that got rid of the smell.

hi sauer, get your birds drawn [ gut out] as soon as possible after shooting then simply roast 25 minutes 170 c

Thank you guys for the replies the simmering for 2hrs worked last time.

trying summit different this time

skin on whole carcass not skinned then I've out em in cold water with juice of 2 lemons for 24 hrs
    ill roast em as above I think after I quickly pan fried the skin for some colour

see what happens

​Paul

Quote Originally Posted by the laird View Post
    hi sauer, get your birds drawn [ gut out] as soon as possible after shooting then simply roast 25 minutes 170 c
    good advise ,i have noticed the ducks i shoot soon taint as they tend to eat alot of earth worms ,so i pluck , draw and empty the crop asap .