Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what a great morning !

what a great morning !

hi all i thought i would tell you bout my morming !

at 6 am i was bimbling my way to my highseat with intention of giving the local red hinds a good talking to . the area im stalking after these reds is only small 150 acraes or so and they have taken a fancy to the 1 remaining beet field . anyway after moving my high seat to at last the right place on my last outing i was quite confident of a result .

after an hour or so i glassed the area with me trusty leica's and saw nothing , thought right ill have a smoke while there is nothing about ! while enjoying the sunshine and my woodbine i cought somthing moving to my left , up with the binos and sure enough a stag mooching along the hedland on the other side of the field .

after 20 mins or so of watching this stag he finaly got within range approx 165 yd , up with the rifle looking down the scope , safty off finger on trigger and NOTHING , i couldnt do it !

i lowered the rifle and loooked through my bins at prob one of the biggest stags in south norfolk ! 18 points all coloured black from the base to pearly white tips , he is such a beautiful animal , a bit thin after the rut but with full body weight a estimate he's got to go 400lb plus on the hoof a gold medal stag if ever i saw one !.

i know plenty of stalkers would have given there right arm to have been in my position this morning , but i just couldnt bring my self to kill this beutiful animal .

i continued to watch him for about another half hour , and after he had left the field i called it a day , empty handed but very satisfied !
    cheers lee

Good for you , sometimes you can get alot of satisfaction out of just knowing you could have had it on the wall, and it was your discision not to..
    Does this make sence ?

complete sence ! i it had been a spiker or a hind i wouldnt have hesitated !

cheers lee

You don't have to shoot at everything you see. It shows you are a real stalker.

ATB

Greg

Well done. Not sure I would have your self control, but then again I havent shot many deer (thats my excuse )

Re: what a great morning !

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5
    hi all i thought i would tell you bout my morming !

at 6 am i was bimbling my way to my highseat with intention of giving the local red hinds a good talking to . the area im stalking after these reds is only small 150 acraes or so and they have taken a fancy to the 1 remaining beet field . anyway after moving my high seat to at last the right place on my last outing i was quite confident of a result .

after an hour or so i glassed the area with me trusty leica's and saw nothing , thought right ill have a smoke while there is nothing about ! while enjoying the sunshine and my woodbine i cought somthing moving to my left , up with the binos and sure enough a stag mooching along the hedland on the other side of the field .

after 20 mins or so of watching this stag he finaly got within range approx 165 yd , up with the rifle looking down the scope , safty off finger on trigger and NOTHING , i couldnt do it !

i lowered the rifle and loooked through my bins at prob one of the biggest stags in south norfolk ! 18 points all coloured black from the base to pearly white tips , he is such a beautiful animal , a bit thin after the rut but with full body weight a estimate he's got to go 400lb plus on the hoof a gold medal stag if ever i saw one !.

i know plenty of stalkers would have given there right arm to have been in my position this morning , but i just couldnt bring my self to kill this beutiful animal .

i continued to watch him for about another half hour , and after he had left the field i called it a day , empty handed but very satisfied !
    cheers lee
    It would appear that you had reached that point that all true hunters aspire to reach, you were finally at one with the world! Steve.

Well done Lee,

You have just done for your local deer population exactly what people should be doing; leaving the best ones. I know it's very hard to do when you think some other bloke might mow it down tomorrow.

On my farm only about 1 in every 80 stags born makes it as far as getting used as a sire which may give an idea of how precious those top class beasties are.

If all stalkers in an area could get together and agree and if there weren't any poachers.....oh, and then I woke up

leec6.5
    Should of nailed him
    No only joking mate. Good on ya mate for your decision not to take the shot. Many a stalker would of just pulled the trigger to see his head on there wall
    You probably got more pleasure watching him than shooting him.
    Im not a trophy hunter in anyway and was introduced into stalking via my father for management reasons and i personally would of probably let him walk away if i had been in your shoes this morning Well done
    Fester

Still plenty of room on my walls

Good on ya fella

I now exactly where your coming from.. Good post

Terry

well done that man,good on ya.lets just hope some tosser dosent bump into him .and i hope you keep bumping into so you can see hes doing ok.i bet he looked the muts nuts