Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rubbish service from gunshops isn't a UK exclusivity

Rubbish service from gunshops isn't a UK exclusivity

Hello everyone.

I'm off to France in a month's time to spend a week and a bit showing Young Pine Marten to the other half of his family. It looks like I will also finally have a chance to go hunting with my brother-in-law. In anticipation of this, I'm having my EFP updated and decided to find out whether local gunshops carried any 7mm-08 ammuntion, since you can't take it on the Eurostar. I emailed the one in the town where my in-laws live, and asked him for details of any 7mm-08 in stock. I received the following PDF in response:

Qte Stock Prix TTC
    2749.R7M081 26.04. 7MMO8 REM 9.07G P20 4715 2,00 34,90
    2749.R7M082 26.04. 7MMO8 REM 7.78GR 0,00 46,90

OK, so he has two boxes of 140gr ones, but I don't know which loads, or indeed anything else. I also notice that he's helpfully told me that he has no boxes of the 120gr. Thanks. Anyway, I emailed back asking for details of loads and manufacturer. He sent through a single word, with no punctuation or anything else: "remington".

I don't really want to email him again asking him for more information on bullets and so on, he's just being unhelpful. Does he want to sell some ammunition or not? Obviously gunshop owners being unhelpful to customers isn't limited to the UK. Perhaps once again because I don't have another damned shop to go to anyway and they know it.

Is it possible his English, therefore his communication is poor rather than his service?

Nope, because my French is perfect, what with being French and everything! Still, I have now found out that R7M081 refers to Remington Core-Lokt soft points, which I can live with. Even if the guy doesn't really deserve my business. At least it's cheaper than in London!

Sorry but I refuse to believe that service can be worse anywhere else than it is in the uk , I e dealt with American and Canadian gunshops and they were great even dealt with German gun dealers and again fantastic , I recently heard of a gent ordering a tikka t3 in 308 ( a truly rare calibre !!!) and was quoted a 6 month wait!!!! Pathetic truly pathetic!
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Sorry but I refuse to believe that service can be worse anywhere else than it is in the uk , I e dealt with American and Canadian gunshops and they were great even dealt with German gun dealers and again fantastic , I recently heard of a gent ordering a tikka t3 in 308 ( a truly rare calibre !!!) and was quoted a 6 month wait!!!! Pathetic truly pathetic!
    youve not spoken to the right people in the uk yet
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    The UK importers are GMK. Say no more.

Pedro, PM's French is fairly fluent.

I reckon a lot of the issues with email and gunsmiths is typing. A lot of them (not all), are not used to it and find it slow and difficult.

I think it is a shame that some people don't use email properly. When I send an email, it has my phone number, address and I try and make sure it makes sense (not always succeeding). And I will happily spend money of electronic correspondence. Some gun shops / stalkers / ghillies / estates don't always get this.

Anyway, happy FRIDAY!!!

Scrummy

Get a reloading press and be done with this reliance on Plonkers!

Young PM will be able to help you crank the handle too in no time.

K

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    youve not spoken to the right people in the uk yet
    No reflection on you spud I know your service is very good
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Get a reloading press and be done with this reliance on Plonkers!

Young PM will be able to help you crank the handle too in no time.

K
    But then I'd have to buy two sets of reloading gear and leave one in France, because I couldn't take components with me... I think I'll just buy all his Remington and leave them with my brother-in-law for Christmas. The only problem is that I'll have to find somewhere to re-zero. I'm sure that can be arranged. Although it does mean that the box of 150gr Federal Power-Shok that I'd been keeping for boar is useless. Well, not useless. I mean it will kill deer in the UK just as well as it would have boar in France. At the rate I'm going I have enough ammunition to last me another 8 or 9 years anyway...