Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Preserving fox tail

  1. #1

    Preserving fox tail

    Hi there, hope so,some can help.
    i have preserved squirrel tails before by simply dipping the cut end in borax powder and leaving to dry (for use in fly tying). This seems to work quite well.

    has anyone tried this for preserving a fox tail? Can't be bothered to try skinning it or anything like that.....

    All the best,
    ​mike

  2. #2
    I have to do them all for work to go in the shoot lodge, i use ktan and freeze them as i shoot them then do one batch a year. You can do them in meths as well, not sure borax would be enough to penetrate the thicker skin but i stand to be corrected.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Benc View Post
    I have to do them all for work to go in the shoot lodge, i use ktan and freeze them as i shoot them then do one batch a year. You can do them in meths as well, not sure borax would be enough to penetrate the thicker skin but i stand to be corrected.
    Thanks Ben,
    not sure i will be getting ktan for just the one tail (I don't really shoot many foxes), the meths sounds interesting tho, do you,just soak the whole thing in it, then dry it out?

  4. #4
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Thanks Ben,
    not sure i will be getting ktan for just the one tail (I don't really shoot many foxes), the meths sounds interesting tho, do you,just soak the whole thing in it, then dry it out?
    Yes Mike. Just strip the bone out and soak in meth for a week. Then a good wash in some of the wife's finest shampoo and conditioner and jobs a good one. The leather remains a little stiff until you pull (with the fur grain) over a hard edge or similar to break the fibres down a little.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  5. #5
    +1 for the meths but I have in the past pushed a piece of dowel or wire in the cut end so that a mounting can be glued in at a later date

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Yes Mike. Just strip the bone out and soak in meth for a week. Then a good wash in some of the wife's finest shampoo and conditioner and jobs a good one. The leather remains a little stiff until you pull (with the fur grain) over a hard edge or similar to break the fibres down a little.
    Ok, is there a really easy way to get the bone out? Or can it just stay in?

  7. #7
    I've always cut all the way around the skin at that tails base and then fastened the bone and flesh to a big wooden block I had for the job(and splitting logs on) with a fencing staple.
    I'd then ease the skin all the way around the cut and once I had enough to get a good hold of.........................PULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ​It can be a bit of a job but it does work

  8. #8
    After shooting the fox just lightly cut around the bottom of the tail, until the inner skin is showing. Then just put a looped piece of string/cord around the cut area and with your one foot on the foxes body (as an anchor) just pull. Only takes seconds.

  9. #9
    So I will end up with the tail pulling off the bone and turning inside out?
    I presume I then just push it back the right way then preserve with meths for a week or so, then hang to dry?

  10. #10
    Easiest to do when the animal has just been shot.
    As previously stated nick around the base of the tail. Get two rough twigs, put one on each side of the tail near the cut.
    Stand on the Fox, firmly grasp the twigs and pull like hell.
    The tail will slide off the bone. Submerge in a jar of meths or formadehyde, leave for a couple of weeks then take it out and shake it dry. A stick or thin dowel can then be pushed down the hole and allowed to dry, then an eyelet can be screwed into the end to hang it up.

    HWH.

Similar Threads

  1. Preserving antlers in velvet
    By Paul 600 in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 15:35
  2. Preserving velvet antler
    By Paul 600 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-05-2012, 22:15
  3. Preserving Deer Skins
    By timbrayford in forum Taxidermy & Trophy Preparation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-04-2012, 09:36
  4. tail docking
    By shudadunityonksago in forum Vets Corner
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 22-07-2011, 11:44
  5. Pigs tail
    By squirrelnutkin in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-07-2011, 16:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •