Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder 'Tester Pots'!

Powder 'Tester Pots'!

I reckon there is a gap in the market for some powder 'tester pots'!?
    When you start to load for a new calibre, you are faced with a whole host of powders which may, or may not suit your rifle. It is a lottery, and every rifle is different. To buy a whole 1 lb of powder to find that it doesn't suit is both wasteful and expensive. What if you could buy 4 x 4oz pots of different powders to try? 1 lb + 7000 grains. 7000 divided by 4 = 1750 grains. Based on a 50 grain load, a 4oz pot would give you 35 rounds which should be more than enough to establish whether they suit or not.
    Good idea - or am I just talking bollox after several cans of Abbot Ale?
    RFD's - make it so!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    When you start to load for a new calibre, you are faced with a whole host of powders which may, or may not suit your rifle. It is a lottery, and every rifle is different. To buy a whole 1 lb of powder to find that it doesn't suit is both wasteful and expensive. What if you could buy 4 x 4oz pots of different powders to try? 1 lb + 7000 grains. 7000 divided by 4 = 1750 grains. Based on a 50 grain load, a 4oz pot would give you 35 rounds which should be more than enough to establish whether they suit or not.
    RFD's - make it so!
    MS
    I like it!
    Doubt if it will happen though. Why sell you a quarter pound when they can sell you the whole pound?? Why come up with cute wee containers and matching labels while still paying the same HAZMAT fees for transport??

Around here we just get together with friends and lend them the powder they need to test a new load.~Muir

1 member on here launched that idea a while back tbh..and may still continue to larger scale retail on that basis in the coming years.

mind, IMHO there are perhaps slight legal issues given the resale of a product outwith its original packaging, no labels, no warnings, no disclaimers, etc. etc...

whilst it's a great idea, I think the commercial viability and legal implications are perhaps more hassle than what you get in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I like it!
    Doubt if it will happen though. Why sell you a quarter pound when they can sell you the whole pound?? Why come up with cute wee containers and matching labels while still paying the same HAZMAT fees for transport??

Around here we just get together with friends and lend them the powder they need to test a new load.~Muir
    Muir,
    we currently pay about $70 or more per pound of powder over here! It also can't be posted and must be carried by a courier which can cost almost as much again. We live in different worlds when it comes to costs for shooting! Every little helps.
    MS

Muir,
    we currently pay about $70 or more per pound of powder over here! It also can't be posted and must be carried by a courier which can cost almost as much again. We live in different worlds when it comes to costs for shooting! Every little helps.
    MS
    I understand that and wish it weren't so. But I know the practical side of this business. The manufacturers won't do it without charging a disproportionately high price and your RFD's aren't (or at least they wouldn't dare, here) going to pour out 4 oz of powder and slap a label on it. The liability would be extreme. In shops I have worked at, an open pound of powder traded in with loading gear or from an estate, was offered to the employees at their own risk, or dumped out. Powder from a previously opened container was never sold to the public. ~Muir

Hi Muir.
    Did Hodgdon offer small test Pots in the not too distant past or have i eaten too much Cheese before Bedtime again?
    I seem to recall them offering three or four Burn rates in Multipack.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi Muir.
    Did Hodgdon offer small test Pots in the not too distant past or have i eaten too much Cheese before Bedtime again?
    I seem to recall them offering three or four Burn rates in Multipack.

Yorkie.
    Not that I've seen but then, I live i the sticks and might have completely missed it! I have seen sample packs of bullets.~Muir

Hi Muir.
    After a quick mooch around on Google it would seem i am about 10 years out of date . They were the Hodgdon 'Xperimental Pack' and were four 1/4 lb Pots in a Pack.
    A good idea that Hodgdon did not seem fit to continue.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Hi Muir.
    After a quick mooch around on Google it would seem i am about 10 years out of date . They were the Hodgdon 'Xperimental Pack' and were four 1/4 lb Pots in a Pack.
    A good idea that Hodgdon did not seem fit to continue.

Yorkie.
    Wow. It must have been a very short lived program. I never saw it but then, there were a few years when I was pretty much out of contact with the market place.~Muir

RFD's - make it so!
    MS
    ms no your not talking bollox for once
    i think it's a great idea I've just purchased six tubs of powder for the new tack
    If you average 42 pounds a tub that's 252 pounds and as you say your going to end up
    using just the one powder
    still I suppose that's that's the fun of finding the right one
    ​regards pete